Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  3d Retreat News
  W2K, DX8, and NVidia

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   W2K, DX8, and NVidia
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-12-2000 04:03 AM


With the release of DX8 and another set of leaked NVidia drivers, I decided to take a look at some updated benchmarks on my machine. After installing W2K, 3DMark scores have been significantly lower than with Win98 on my machine and I attributed that to early drivers in W2K and DX7. I appear to be at least partially correct because the latest drivers in combination with DX8 have given my box a significantly improved score when doing some comparison benchmarking. My machine is a P3-600 running Windows 2000 and DirectX 8. After running tests with 3DMark2000 set to 1024x768, I received the following scores with the various driver sets by NVidia: (scores are an average of 3 test runs)

Det 6.31,16bit - 3146
Det 6.31,32bit - 3064
Det 6.47,16bit - 4241
Det 6.47,32bit - 3808
Det 7.17 - 4094

While the 7.17 drivers are reported to have various issues, they are rumored to be the first drivers with DX8 support built in. Of course, 3DMark2000 is built around DX7 but it is interesting to note that the latest drivers by NVidia seem to be SIGNIFICANTLY (close to 1000 difference) improve my 3DMark scores. 6.31 (the latest official release) and prior all run in the lower 3000s. Also of note is that systems with older cards such as the TNT2 Ultra and before don't note any significant improvement with the latest drivers. Apu's Hardware has done a nice lowdown of benchmarks on an Athlon 800 and a TNT2 Ultra. The results are here and you will notice that throughout all the various driver versions, their results are pretty much all identical.

Also of note is that In Win98 I would get between 5000-5500. While my current scores of 4241 are not that high, they are a lot better than the 3000s. I am imagining that as W2K drivers mature, they will get even better. Also, not all cards notice the slowdown between W2K and Win98 that I am seeing so it isn't a general statement that W2K is slower than Win98. Some cards in various hardware configs perform the same from what I read. I am interested to here any results you guys are having and if you are making similiar findings. Take it to the forums!


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
hendrixx
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-12-2000 09:07 AM


Hi, i have tried the new 7.17 detonator drivers on my machine with the latest DirectX 8.0 (Dutch) and i can tell you this: IT SUCKS !!

My system :
Intel PIII 733MHz
ASUS P3V4X
128MB/133MHz
Hercules GeforceII 32MB
NVidia detonator driver v6.47
Windows ME 4.90.3000 Dutch


My Quake III benchmarks dropped by more then 10 frames! (from 48.2fps to somewhere around 35fps in 1280x1024 and all options set to the max!)
My 3DMark2000 results dropped from 6148 to 5036 ! (with 1024x768 and 16bits colordepth, the standard test)
I checked the FSAA options and they were all set off! In all my benchmarks!

So i keep on using NVidia detonator v6.47 drivers.

......Jimmy


Click Here to See the Profile for hendrixx   Click Here to Email hendrixx    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-12-2000 01:41 PM


That seems to be what most people are seeing in Win98/WinME. W2K seems to be only where the improvements are seen.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
SUPREME
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-13-2000 11:33 AM


Because of your scores, I will be upgrading my 6.31 to the 6.47 drivers. Thank you for your information.

I'm keeping my 7.0a DirectX though.. isn't that the best performance?

My Setup:
Windows 98
Celeron 566@ 850
128MB PC100
Abit BH6 1.1 (SP)
MX300
Asus 7700 32MB Pure GeForce 2 GTS (2.15.01.13) (AGP 1x) (Det 6.31)
Acer 77c
Compaq PCI Netelligent 10/100TX PCI UTP Controller
Asus CD-S360
Western Digital AC36400L
FUJITSU MPB3032ATU E

------------------
SUPREME |RUHi


Click Here to See the Profile for SUPREME   Click Here to Email SUPREME    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-13-2000 12:08 PM


Keep in mind, that significant increase in my scores was due to Windows 2000 being my operating system. W2K drivers have been slow at first but are just now maturing. You should be safe using 6.47 but don't expect to see as large of an improvement as I did.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Archbishop
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-13-2000 12:40 PM


Well, I tried these 7.17 drivers, and they just make my system hang. Keeping in mind, though, that they are still beta, maybe that isn´t such a big deal.

System:
Epox 3-VCA2 Socket 370)
Celeron 600
128/133 ram
Fireball LM Plus
CL Graphics Blaster 256 pro (DDR
Win2k pro

/Anders

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Archbishop   Click Here to Email Archbishop    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
SUPREME
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-13-2000 12:58 PM


Any good benchmarks for win9x running the various det drivers? I'll start looking myself, just wondering if you had any

------------------

SUPREME |RUHi


Click Here to See the Profile for SUPREME   Click Here to Email SUPREME    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
hendrixx
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-13-2000 04:33 PM


Hi, the best benchmarks i can think off are the Quake III timedemo and the 3DMark2000 benchmark. (And perhaps Unreal Tournement timedemo? for Direct3D)

...........Jimmy

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for hendrixx   Click Here to Email hendrixx    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
MasterOfPuppets
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-13-2000 06:10 PM


I have a GeForce 2 MX and Half-Life crashes under OpenGL using 7.17, hope a new version is leaked soon cause DirectX gaming is painful.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for MasterOfPuppets   Click Here to Email MasterOfPuppets    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-13-2000 06:19 PM


I recommend going back down to 6.47. 7.17 seems to be having too many issues right now.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
RedDragonGecko
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-14-2000 02:52 AM


All I know is with whatever drivers I use I never score above 2649 in 3D mark.
I have:
P3 600eb
Asus P3C2000
128megs of pc133 corsair
win98/se
Hercules Prophet 2 geforce 2/gts 64meg

This is driving me insane, and yes fsaa is off.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for RedDragonGecko   Click Here to Email RedDragonGecko    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-14-2000 03:31 AM


never score above 2649? Whoa, something is up! What kind of framerates do you get in Quake 3?

Are you making sure you close EVERYTHING before you run the tests and nothing is going on in the background on your pc?

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
dune
3d Retreat

Posts: 188
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-14-2000 10:08 AM


It might be something with your motherboard. The P3C2000 is being phased out by Asus and I still don't trust those high numbered Intel chipsets... They always seem to have problems creeping up, not to mention the whole rambus issues.

My system is almost identical to your except I'm running 700e and a CUBX w/ 440bx chipset. It's only 100mhz FSB, but I get high 3000 low 4000's on my 32mb Prophet II.

------------------
dune/3dR
http://www.3dretreat.com
http://tango.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for dune   Click Here to Email dune    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 1399199UIN: 1399199       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 897
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-14-2000 10:52 AM


Originally posted by dune:
My system is almost identical to your except I'm running 700e and a CUBX w/ 440bx chipset. It's only 100mhz FSB, but I get high 3000 low 4000's on my 64mb Prophet II.

Your running Windows 2000 correct? What drivers are you using?

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
dune
3d Retreat

Posts: 188
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-14-2000 10:55 AM


Yeah. Win2k. Let me verify those numbers though. I know I'm higher than 2700 though.

------------------
dune/3dR
3d Retreat, http://www.3dretreat.com
Texas Area Network Gamers Organization, http://tango.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for dune   Click Here to Email dune    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 1399199UIN: 1399199       IP Logged
RedDragonGecko
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-14-2000 10:02 PM


When I run 3D Mark I turn everything off yes.

I was wondering about my P3C2000. I just learned about the mth problem with some mobo's, and that if you are having problems you can exchange it for a new mobo with 128pc800 rdram. Although I have heard that rdram sucks so I don't know what to do.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for RedDragonGecko   Click Here to Email RedDragonGecko    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
MSQ862
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: May 2001

posted 05-14-2001 04:11 AM


My scores have dropped.

My 3DMark score where about 5500.
But my windows was poluted so i formatted my drive and reistalled windows. I downloaded all the latest drivers( DX8, NVidia6.50 drivers). I thought i had optimized my PC.

3 months later i did the 3DMark2000 benchmark, just for fun. And the 3DMark score now is 1500.
What causes this 3/11 drop?
Virus? (Ms Midtown Madness suddenly needed a patch to run properly)
DirectX 8?
Office2000?
It can't be the video driver because the asus7700 drivers have the 'same' preformance.

I'll just have reinstall W98 again.

My Setup:
Windows 98
AMD Athlon 650@ 650
128MB PC133 @100
EliteGroup K7ASA
Asus 7700 32MB Pure GeForce 2 GTS
Iiyama 17" Visionmaster 404 (S704HT series)

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for MSQ862    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
sniper
Moderator

Posts: 481
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 05-14-2001 06:19 AM


If you have win2k get the 11.01 drivers from http://www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com/Drivers.htm. They are by far the best ones yet!

I used the 12.00 ones for like a day or too, and they were really unstable. I had to reboot a lot, and they just were not as nice as the 11.01.

Also make sure you install SP1, and since SP2 is out now, you might want to try that.

Also a nice fact, win2k is NOT a gaming OS, so your not going to have a big score in 3dMark 2000, or 2001. 3dMark 2001 is really made for systems witha a GF3, a 1ghz+ processor, etc. Basically a kick a$$ system! I really reccomend Win98 for a Gaming OS's. That is proppley one of the more stable OS's, and it is proven in a few reviews and test to be good!

MSQ862; I would try adding mroe ram, If you have all that stuff, office 2000, midtown etc, with only 128, it might be slow ass. And why is it 128MB PC133 @100? If you buy a stick of pc133 it will be pc-133 unless you have a pc-100, and 133, then it will run at the slower rate. The pc-100.

------------------
-=Sniper=-
News Editor/HTML Programmer
http://roguespear.3dretreat.com - RS Retreat
http://www.3dretreat.com - 3d Retreat


Click Here to See the Profile for sniper   Click Here to Email sniper    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24721190UIN: 24721190       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47