Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Airsoft
  AEG's or GBB's. Vest, no Vest?!?!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   AEG's or GBB's. Vest, no Vest?!?!
Caliban
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Feb 2001

posted 02-23-2001 04:39 PM


Being the complete newbie that I am, I figured I'd ask as many questions as I could to familiarize myself with this sport, and also try and figure out how much this is gonna cost me (provided I can find some clubs or players in/around my area).

My first question, after reading the newbie FAQ and other stuff on the site, I'm having a hard time deciding what's better. The AEG's or the GBB's.

Do the AEG's have any recoil effect at all, or do you only get that more with the gas guns?? I like the sound of the AEG's a little better, but I'm not too sure yet.

Second, what is usually the standard amount of equiptment used. Guns (duh), and your Visor. Do most people wear vests and/or helmets, or gloves or anything else.

Thanks again!!!!

------------------
- See the Gun and Pick it up.
All day long you'll have good luck.
See the gun and let lie.
You'll want that gun before you die!


Click Here to See the Profile for Caliban   Click Here to Email Caliban    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 5183713UIN: 5183713       IP Logged
X17
Moderator

Posts: 146
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 02-23-2001 05:02 PM


Caliban,

The newbie faq provided by Allen pretty much sums it up. At one time gas operated guns dominated airsoft. Airsoft has come a long way, now we have assault electric guns, AEGs. I’m going to just run a few considerations you should take into account on your decision.

1) Gas guns these days, rather GBBs, are more of the back up weapon of choice. The reason being is these days GBBs are mainly handguns or small submachine guns like Mac-11s. Airsoft has pretty much stepped away from the days of gas operated ak47s and M16s. While there are up-to-date versions of these weapons such as the gas Colt M4A1 that KWC sells owning a gas operated gun is not cheap. For one it requires gas, not horribly expensive but it does add up over time. Secondly, gas operated weapons require a great deal more of maintenance. What it really adds up to is if you buy a gas-operated weapon you are investing a lot of time and money into the weapon, but nonetheless you should not disapprove of the firepower you receive.

2) AEGs are the current main technology of airsoft. After buying your gun and necessary components like battery and charger, your only expense is bbs and oil to grease it up here and there. The performance, while not up to par with a stock gas-operated rifle, it is still completive. An upgraded AEG can be much better then any gas operated weapon with ease. AEGs have a sort of vibration, not really a recoil affect, though there are some out there, but they come with a nice large price tag.

3) You can buy a gun and face protection and play. The more committed airsoft players buy army fatigues, tactical vets, pretty much anything you would want if you were going into real combat. Myself, I have a full SWAT type get up, from boots to gloves, everything. I also have a set of desert fatigues that I use for out in the desert. How much you commit, time and money, to airsoft is really up to you. I play on a daily bases so, as my girl friend puts it, I am over committed.

I hope I helped you at least a bit, I tend to ramble not totally forget what I am trying to answer.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for X17   Click Here to Email X17    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 66249881UIN: 66249881       IP Logged
Toto
3d Retreat

Posts: 4
Registered: Feb 2001

posted 02-23-2001 08:16 PM


Right on X17. That's one of the reasons I decided on Airsoft over paintball.
My get up is full fatiques, mock up jungle boots and the boonie cap, with tact vest.

Caliben, if you do decide to go with the full gear, I have some good links to some decent places to get the goods.

------------------
Toto
"mutts need love too."


Click Here to See the Profile for Toto   Click Here to Email Toto    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Caliban
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Feb 2001

posted 02-24-2001 01:38 AM


Thanks!!

I've sent a few emails out to some people I've found in my area. Looks like there's atleast two teams around here. If I can find any shops or clubs or any info that would make me want to join, I'm definately gonna go all out.

If I do find some people to play with, I think I'll go check them out a couple times, get some tips on what's a good gun and sidearm and go from there.

I'd love to go all out with the Camo, the boots and everything!!

------------------
- See the Gun and Pick it up.
All day long you'll have good luck.
See the gun and let lie.
You'll want that gun before you die!


Click Here to See the Profile for Caliban   Click Here to Email Caliban    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 5183713UIN: 5183713       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47