Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  RC General Discussion
  Umm-- first post?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Umm-- first post?
KornKob
Private

Posts: 15
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 12:16 PM


: ) No, seriously.

Is there going to be a searchable 'news archive' for RC? I always get frustrated when I can remember a funny story I read online but then can never find it again.

------------------

Jason Robinson
SQA Engineer, Sonic Foundry: http://www.sonicfoundry.com
Staff,
Pie's Tactics: http://www.piestactics.com
Reviewer,
The Wargamer: http://www.wargamer.com
Home
page: http://www.kornkob.com


Click Here to See the Profile for KornKob   Click Here to Email KornKob    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
KornKob
Private

Posts: 15
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 12:21 PM


OH=-- and maybe a slightly larger font? at 1024x786 and up the posts are in a pretty damnned tiny font.

------------------

Jason "KornKob" Robinson
SQA Engineer, Sonic Foundry: http://www.sonicfoundry.com
Staff, Pie's Tactics: http://www.piestactics.com
Reviewer, The Wargamer: http://www.wargamer.com
Home page: http://www.kornkob.com


Click Here to See the Profile for KornKob   Click Here to Email KornKob    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 01:29 PM


Both the forums and the page have a small font...I think it would be safe to raise it up a little. I will play with that tonight. As far as a search, that should already be built in via UBB. The news posts on the page are generated from the posts made in the Rubber Chicken News Forum where only admin's can post. I will add a search feature on the page that ties into ubb.

Look at the top of this page and you will see a search option.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
KornKob
Private

Posts: 15
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 01:48 PM


Saw that after I posted.


Any way you could rig up a 'new post' indicator and a 'auto refresh' feature-- make 'hanging out' in the forums a lot easier.

------------------

Jason "KornKob" Robinson
SQA Engineer, Sonic Foundry: http://www.sonicfoundry.com
Staff, Pie's Tactics: http://www.piestactics.com
Reviewer, The Wargamer: http://www.wargamer.com
Home page: http://www.kornkob.com


Click Here to See the Profile for KornKob   Click Here to Email KornKob    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 02:03 PM


There is a new post feature already. Go to the main page. If the cubes on the left are colored, there are new posts in that forum. If they are greyed out, there aren't.

Also, once you are in a forum folder, there is a folder icon next to each thread. If the folder icon is blue, there are no new posts in that thread. If it is light blue, there are new posts.

What type of "auto-refresh" feature where you talking about? One that refreshes the page after x amount of time?

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
KornKob
Private

Posts: 15
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 09:24 AM


Autorefresh-- something like that. So that I don't have to hit refresh and wait for the page to load to find out if there are new posts.

It would be really slick of you could do something like the Message Center Subscription Liston the WEbX servers so I could check to see if there are posts-- but only in those forums taht I care about (For instance I could care less if the Airsoft forum has new posts)-- The Subscription coupled witha soundis really handy.

New Post indicator-- I see no cubes at all on the main listing and the folders are all light purple--- irregardless of new posts or not.

------------------

Jason "KornKob" Robinson
SQA Engineer, Sonic Foundry: http://www.sonicfoundry.com
Staff, Pie's Tactics: http://www.piestactics.com
Reviewer, The Wargamer: http://www.wargamer.com
Home page: http://www.kornkob.com


Click Here to See the Profile for KornKob   Click Here to Email KornKob    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
KornKob
Private

Posts: 15
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 09:43 AM


Another suggestion-- how about some links back to the pages these forums are for? Like the title of the section being a link to the page in question.

------------------

Jason "KornKob" Robinson
SQA Engineer, Sonic Foundry: http://www.sonicfoundry.com
Staff, Pie's Tactics: http://www.piestactics.com
Reviewer, The Wargamer: http://www.wargamer.com
Home page: http://www.kornkob.com


Click Here to See the Profile for KornKob   Click Here to Email KornKob    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 10:06 AM


If you go to http://forums.3dretreat.com, that page that loads has cubes on the left of each forum. If you don't see them, do a ctrl+refresh.

On the auto-refresh, basically you are saying that you would like to be able to leave a browser window open on the main page of the forums and have it auto-refresh every 30 seconds or so to see when new posts are in? If that is what you are referring to, that is easily done.

There is a mod that I can install that lets you subscribe to particular forums only. Although I think it is i just as easy to have them all listed on one page, I will probably add that mod in.

Your idea to have the sections link back to the web pages is a good idea. I will look into that.

Also FYI, you can click on the "Click Here To View Today's Active Topics" link at the top of the main page to get a summary of active threads going on today and when you are actually in a thread, there is an option to cycle through the latest posts in this thread. Those are a couple tips to help you navigate the forums.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
KornKob
Private

Posts: 15
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 10:21 AM


Icons-- Well I followed that link (minus the extraneous comma) and I suddenly have the icons. There is a bug inyour forums though because previously I did not see them. There is a way to get to these forums without 'activating' that feature.

I knew about those features you mentioned-- they are just not very satisfying. I prefer to be able to see only those forusm I care about so the 'hot topics' thing really is of no interest-- too cluttered with stuff I could care less about.

If you have activated the refresh already TURN IT OFF!!! It refreshes you to the forums again even if you are typing a new message. I have had to hit the back button twice during this post.

------------------

Jason "KornKob" Robinson
SQA Engineer, Sonic Foundry: http://www.sonicfoundry.com
Staff, Pie's Tactics: http://www.piestactics.com
Reviewer, The Wargamer: http://www.wargamer.com
Home page: http://www.kornkob.com


Click Here to See the Profile for KornKob   Click Here to Email KornKob    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-25-2000 11:41 AM


The issue with seeing the icon indicators is having a cookie set. You most likely never got the cookie set or yours got corrupted. To fix it if it ever happens, go to the 'preferences' option and go to "delete cookie", then disable and re-enable the cookie feature in your preferences.

The refresh is on ten minutes. Took you 20 minutes to reply? hrmm...hehee, I will go turn it off.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
KornKob
Private

Posts: 15
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 08:02 AM


It must have been on a much shorter time frame initially as I was getting dropped back to the main page about every 30 seconds.

------------------

Jason "KornKob" Robinson
SQA Engineer, Sonic Foundry: http://www.sonicfoundry.com
Staff, Pie's Tactics: http://www.piestactics.com
Reviewer, The Wargamer: http://www.wargamer.com
Home page: http://www.kornkob.com


Click Here to See the Profile for KornKob   Click Here to Email KornKob    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47