Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  RC General Discussion
  Boy's Killed by Handgrenade

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Boy's Killed by Handgrenade
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 10:04 AM


JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Two South African boys were killed and one seriously injured after they climbed a tree to pick a handgrenade that had been hung from its branches, police said Sunday.

The two children, aged 10, died instantly when the grenade exploded as they tried to remove it from the tree in the Eastern Cape town of Whittlesea, the South African Press Association (SAPA) reported.

The boys had unsuccessfully thrown stones to try to dislodge the device.

Police could not say how the handgrenade got into the tree.


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Pappy
3d Retreat

Posts: 16
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 09:08 PM


Ehh?? Geesh.. the forbidden fruit.

------------------
Allen "Pappy" Arnold
News/Reviews Guy
3dRetreat


Click Here to See the Profile for Pappy   Click Here to Email Pappy    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 55852329UIN: 55852329   Send an AIM Message to PappstersZ    IP Logged
CShock
Private

Posts: 26
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 09:57 PM


Johhny: Wow! Look at that Bob!

Bob: Dude that looks awesome...I wonder what it is?

Johnny: I dunno, throw a rock at it see what it does.

Bob: *throws rock*

*KA-BOOM*

------------------
//chris
The Anti-AOL, AOL User
chris3gdc@hotmail.com


Click Here to See the Profile for CShock   Click Here to Email CShock    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 72126165UIN: 72126165   Send an AIM Message to chris3dgc   Send a message to chris3dgcUIN: 72126165 IP Logged
GoatBeard
Moderator

Posts: 43
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-25-2000 06:23 PM


that's freaking depressing. I'm totally bummed now

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for GoatBeard   Click Here to Email GoatBeard    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-25-2000 10:00 PM


It's sad but just as bad as a Darwin award. I mean who goes into a tree to fetch a handgrenade?

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Shroomhd
Newbie

Posts: 3
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-25-2000 11:31 PM


How is that funny in any way?

------------------
~Shroom


Click Here to See the Profile for Shroomhd   Click Here to Email Shroomhd    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 74938695UIN: 74938695   Send an AIM Message to Foulk1    IP Logged
sniper
3d Retreat

Posts: 70
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-25-2000 11:44 PM


I saw that a few days ago....

------------------
-=Sniper=-
News Editor/HTML Programmer
http://www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for sniper   Click Here to Email sniper    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24721190UIN: 24721190   Send an AIM Message to BimmerLovR    IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 09:12 AM


quote:
Originally posted by Shroomhd:
How is that funny in any way?


Who said it was funny? The loss of a life for anyone is not funny.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Shroomhd
Newbie

Posts: 3
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 04:31 PM


ok I just thought the rubber chicken was supposed to be humorous.

------------------
~Shroom


Click Here to See the Profile for Shroomhd   Click Here to Email Shroomhd    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 74938695UIN: 74938695   Send an AIM Message to Foulk1    IP Logged
GoatBeard
Moderator

Posts: 43
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 08:09 PM


I've been thinking about this a lot these past couple of days and I believe (to me) this is very sad because Johannesburg has had a really crappy couple of decades, because two children were involved, and because it was a granade that killed them.

I have nothing against "News Of The Wierd" type stuff, and really do enjoy the Darwin Awards, but those are given to adults who should know better.

Is this post appropriate for the Rubber Chicken forum? I don't think so. I also don't think we should make jokes when kids are killed. Let me know if I'm way off base here, but I hope we can all use this place to get away from the 6 O'Clock Crime Report... I mean the nightly news.

Maybe we need a new category "Really F*cked Up Shit that will ruin your day" Maybe we should carry this conversation on in the general discussion forum. Maybe I should shut the heck up. I don't know. I do know that I'm depressed about this whole topic. Flame on.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for GoatBeard   Click Here to Email GoatBeard    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 08:26 PM


Thanks for sharing your opinions. I will make appropriate steps to get rid of the post.

The Rubber Chicken is not just a humor site but also an "oddball" news type of site. When I first read the post about the grenade in the tree I treated it like a typical Darwin Award. After talking more about it, it really does turn into a sad story. I did however find it in the "News of the odd" section at Yahoo news. Thanks for the discussions!

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47