Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Gaming
  PS2 or Dreamcast.. give me some input

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   PS2 or Dreamcast.. give me some input
KloWn
Moderator

Posts: 279
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-31-2000 02:23 AM


Hey guys, just want to get some input from you gamers. Which of these two systems do you lke better or in your opinion, would want more. PS2 was almost impossible to get so I would know why some of you would choose dreamcast. But if you could choose one, which would it be?

------------------
The point of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.


Click Here to See the Profile for KloWn   Click Here to Email KloWn    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 83763485UIN: 83763485   Send an AIM Message to bigpimpinfreako   Send a message to f16infernoUIN: 83763485 IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 894
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-31-2000 03:05 AM


Dreamcast is way cheaper and has comparable grpahics in my opinion. Also, the games are more mature since the platform is older.

If I was to get a console right now I would get the dreamcast and keep my eye on the X-box.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Absolut_OSU
3d Retreat

Posts: 21
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-10-2000 04:04 PM


I didn't see this topic before. I'm going with the $150 dreamcast. I think it's a steal compared to the $400 PS2. Many owners of both say they still prefer their dreamcast over PS2.
Click Here to See the Profile for Absolut_OSU   Click Here to Email Absolut_OSU    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to AbsoluteOSU    IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-10-2000 09:05 PM


Well....I look at it this way.

I was at Fry's the other day, and they have a PS2 right next to the dreamcast.

Dead Or Alive 2 was on both, and while the Dreamcast version lacked the extra costumes, levels, and whatever else they were able to cram into the game, the DC version looked cleaner, smoother, and quite frankley...just plain plays better.

Another thing. Maden 2001. Nice look, bad play. NFL2K1....perfection.

Yet another...DC has Ecco. Ecco has quite possibly some of the greatest graphics on ANY platform I have ever seen.

The only reasons I can see to getting a PS2 would be:

a) you dont own a Playstation
b) you dont own a DVD player
c) your just a yuppie and have to have one.

I went to Gamestop today and transfered my reservation for the PS2 over to the XBox...

Xbox looks sweet....hardware wise...and they have pretty much EVERY third-party company developing games for it.

but thats just the opinion of a lowley evil music maker...if you have $400 bucks to blow...go ahead. Me? I'm waiting for Xbox and da gamecube.

------------------
praise the dj


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-10-2000 09:07 PM


Wow...I just read that, and I think I may have sounded a little like alot of people out there today.

I would just like to state that:

a) graphics DO NOT make the game...the game makes the game.
b) I have the utmost respect for people that payed for a PS2, but I just dont care for it.

umm..i think thats all...

------------------
praise the dj


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Absolut_OSU
3d Retreat

Posts: 21
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-11-2000 12:42 AM


I bought my dreamcast today and it 0WnZ the SNES!

------------------

Home of the 8 - 1 Beavers


Click Here to See the Profile for Absolut_OSU   Click Here to Email Absolut_OSU    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to AbsoluteOSU    IP Logged
Absolut_OSU
3d Retreat

Posts: 21
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-11-2000 12:43 AM


On another note, Dreamcast is a steal for $150. Great price and great games.
Click Here to See the Profile for Absolut_OSU   Click Here to Email Absolut_OSU    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to AbsoluteOSU    IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 894
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-11-2000 02:50 AM


Originally posted by Satanic Dj:
I went to Gamestop today and transfered my reservation for the PS2 over to the XBox...

Which Gamestop did you go to? The one at Preston and Park? If you went there, did you notice that it had the 3d scanner to put your face in a game?

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Shroomhd
3d Retreat

Posts: 206
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-30-2000 09:11 PM


LOL I am gonna go there.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Shroomhd   Click Here to Email Shroomhd    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 74938695UIN: 74938695   Send an AIM Message to Foulk1    IP Logged
[ROF]Crusty Buttcrack
Private

Posts: 12
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-30-2000 09:23 PM


THEY BOTH R STUPID TO ME I WOULD RATHER KEEP MY PC

------------------
cR|_|$TY $@yz "\/\/H@T |_|P!!!!!!


Click Here to See the Profile for [ROF]Crusty Buttcrack    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 894
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-30-2000 09:28 PM


Why can't you keep your PC AND have a console? hehe

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
[ROF]Crusty Buttcrack
Private

Posts: 12
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-30-2000 09:30 PM


snicker the thing is i DO have a pc and a console(ps1) i just dont like playing on it im hooked to PC

------------------
cR|_|$TY $@yz "\/\/H@T |_|P!!!!!!


Click Here to See the Profile for [ROF]Crusty Buttcrack    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Warthog
Sergeant

Posts: 74
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-01-2000 05:59 PM


I'm probably gonna get a DC because of Half Life .

As others have said, $150 is the best!

Warthog

------------------
Got Milk?


Click Here to See the Profile for Warthog   Click Here to Email Warthog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 79345269UIN: 79345269   Send an AIM Message to .......aol sucks..........    IP Logged
KloWn
Moderator

Posts: 279
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-02-2000 12:19 PM


Half-Life is coming to PS2

------------------
The point of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.


Click Here to See the Profile for KloWn   Click Here to Email KloWn    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 83763485UIN: 83763485   Send an AIM Message to bigpimpinfreako   Send a message to f16infernoUIN: 83763485 IP Logged
Warthog
Sergeant

Posts: 74
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-02-2000 10:07 PM


yeah, but PS2 is twice the price, won't need a DVD player soon (getting one for comp), the graphics aren't much better and I'm more of a PC gamer, so $300 for a better HL (plus a few other games) doesn't make any sense.

Warthog

------------------
Got Milk?


Click Here to See the Profile for Warthog   Click Here to Email Warthog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 79345269UIN: 79345269   Send an AIM Message to .......aol sucks..........    IP Logged
Sgt.Caffeine
Private

Posts: 45
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 12-05-2000 10:56 AM


Right now I'd say DC is alot better But PS2 has games like MGS2 and new Resident Evil games coming to it.... But then again those will probally all be released on X-Box also.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Sgt.Caffeine   Click Here to Email Sgt.Caffeine    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 29173680UIN: 29173680   Send an AIM Message to SgtCaffeine    IP Logged
USMC Greg
Private

Posts: 10
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 12-19-2000 01:18 AM


I'd definetly go with the PS2, for the following reasons;

-Better system than Dreamcast
-Has a DVD player
-Can play all my old PSX games
-Metal Gear Solid 2 will be on it (major reason)
-the future Final Fantasy games will be on it (the greatest reason)
-Will eventually support online gaming
-A great control pad

Anyway, i'd go with the PS2 simply because all the good game developers will make games for the PS2. Also the graphics are better on the PS2. The only thing holding me back from buying one right now is the high cost. I'm gonna atleast wait until summer to purchase my PS2.......basically what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't waste your money on garbage like a Dreamcast. Sega is dead!

------------------
USMC Greg


Homepage:
USMC Greg's Page
Clan Page:
USMC Clan
Contributor:
Pie's Tactics
Administrator:
USMC Clan Forums


Click Here to See the Profile for USMC Greg   Click Here to Email USMC Greg    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 89444157UIN: 89444157       IP Logged
Warthog
Sergeant

Posts: 74
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-30-2000 09:23 PM


You can play online with Dreamcast.

Actually, I just saw a new accesory that allows you to use a broadband connection.

Currently, the graphical improvement on the PS2 does not justify the extra $150 needed for it.

Personally, I don't care about MGS2 or FF. But that's me. Also, I'd be getting a console system just for the heck of it. My main game system kicks the crap out of any console system - my pc.

Warthog

------------------
Got Milk?


Click Here to See the Profile for Warthog   Click Here to Email Warthog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 79345269UIN: 79345269   Send an AIM Message to .......aol sucks..........    IP Logged
Sgt.Caffeine
Private

Posts: 45
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-01-2001 06:44 PM


PS2 You can "Eventually" play online, DC you can play online TODAY

Already got a DVD player and mines alot better then the ps2's...

PS2's hardware isn't that much better, Dreamcast actually has double the video ram of ps2 (although ps2 has high bandwith ports such as usb and firewire which is nice)

MGS2,The next games of the Resident evil series and the Final Fantasy games do rock though, But they are not bound to the PS2 they could come out for XBOX or PC even....

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Sgt.Caffeine   Click Here to Email Sgt.Caffeine    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 29173680UIN: 29173680   Send an AIM Message to SgtCaffeine    IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-02-2001 10:54 AM


*cough*
Metal Gear Solid X
*cough*

and square could sign with Microsoft to make FFX on the Xbox....I think it would only make sence that way. After all square dumped Nintendo when they saw the N64.

as for what was said by USMC Greg:

-Better system than Dreamcast hardware wise...but I have yet to see a game that lookes and playes better
-Has a DVD player big fucking deal...so does my computer
-Can play all my old PSX games score: Sony 1...Sega 10...you do the math
-Metal Gear Solid 2 will be on it (major reason) see above comment
-the future Final Fantasy games will be on it (the greatest reason) see above comment
-Will eventually support online gamingkey word there is "eventually"
-A great control pad I really dont like the sony analog controllers...my hands are too big and the sticks get in the way

"All the good game developers will make games for the PS2" yeah...the same companies are signed with Microsoft too.

"you shouldn't waste your money on garbage like a Dreamcast. Sega is dead!" umm...have you seen the sales figures for the Dreamcast?


ok...I think im done. Nothing against you personally, and dont take anything I say too seriously...I'm trying to save you some money.

------------------
praise the dj


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47