Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Gaming
  "consoles"

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   "consoles"
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-02-2001 11:53 AM


I'm kinda bored now....so lets talk about consoles.

Nintendo. They started the craze. The Nintendo Entertainment System was the coolest thing I had ever seen, and I remember going with my mother and brother to go pick ours up. Its 8 bits have continued to 0wn Sega's 16, 32, and now 128 bit systems. It had games games and more games than you knew what to do with.

Sega. The Genisis was what I owned for the majoraty of my childhood, and I loved it. While not everyone knew about the Sega CD, or the 32X, Sega knew (kinda) what they were doing, they just didnt push all their new hardware. Its 16 bits were fucking ownderful, and I remember loving my Genisis when Mortal Kombat came out and I could activate the blood. HA! And just for the record...Sonic The Hedgehog 3 is still one of my all time favorate games.

Nintendo. They did it again. This time it was called the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. SNES. Those 4 letters started the biggest war I have seen in my lifetime. While there were no guns, morters, air raids, or grenades involved, the war between Sega and Nintendo was brutal. "Now your playing with Super Power" 16 bits of this so-called "super power" kept the company rolling for quite a long time. The SNES outclassed the Genisis in each and every way, with better games, better graphics, and that fat lettle plumber dude, Nintendo almost sent Sega spiraling into Chapter 11.

Sony. That name just never sounded right when you were talking about games. Sure, they sold the speakers and TVs that you watched and listened to your games on, but they never got more involved than that. With the so called 32 bit "Playstation" Sony came in, and announced in a bold clear voice "I have arrived" and boy did they. While off to a moderatly slow start, the Playstation eventually kicked off, and went on a roll that has only recently been put to a stop by the aptly named "Playstation 2". but more on the ps2 later.

Nintendo. Back at it again, they offered a whopping 64 bit gaming system, but failed misirably to comply with industry standards. I am actually supprised that the Nintendo 64 has lasted the 5 years that it has. I (along with a few Nintendo fans) tried to get the N64 to use CDs, but no. Myamoto would not listen to anybody. Claiming that Cartrages were still superior to CDs (laff) Nintendo boldly set forth on a path of destruction, and somehow is still in buisness.

Sega. Yeah, I know. Where the hell did that one come from. After many years of silence, Sega announces something called the Dreamcast. Boasting 128 bits of pure polygon pushing power, the Dreamcast promised to be a great console. And for the first time in many years, Sega delivered on their promises. Soul Calibur is one of the greatist console games I have seen to date, and it was a first generation Dreamcast game.

Sony. Ahh...dependible old Sony. with the announcement of Sega's 128 bit powerhouse, Sony had to scramble to be able to say that they too had something in the works. Well...regardless of if they did or not, they said boldley: "Playstation 2 will revolutonise the gaming industry."

And now I get to my point.

Where is this revolution thats supposed to be happening? Everything seen in first generation PS2 games I have already seen in the older "non-revolutionary" Dreamcast.

"But Dj...they are only first generation games! Give sony a chance!"

I know. If anyone can remember back when the first playstation came out, the games sucked. I'm willing to give the ps2 a chance, but its been a few months already...WHERE IS MY FUCKING REVOLUTION?

Anyone that payed for a ps2 is a yuppie, and they deserved to pay 400 bucks for a bloody paperweight.

The ps2 is not a console by my standards. Its trying to take over my living room. I dont care if it plays DVDs....I dont care if it gave me oral pleasures....If I spend 400 bucks on a "gaming machiene" I WANT GAMES! Not hype.

Sony prooves my long held beleif about America.

And you may ask: "What is that Dj?"

Well. This is America. If you put enough hype behind something, you can sell the consumer dogshit in a bag that will break before they get home, and the consumer will be happy.

Fuck Sony. All of you that have payed for a ps2...go sell it on ebay to people that are even stupider that you.

--the preceding was a rant by Satanic Dj, and nothing he said should have been takin too seriously.  Except for the "Fuck Sony" part.  He ment that.

------------------
praise the dj


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-02-2001 12:00 PM


Oh yeah...

and if you want to see my point about shit tyring to take over your living room...
http://www.indrema.com

thats not a console. Its a piece of shit, that can play games....

------------------
praise the dj


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Drunk
Moderator

Posts: 348
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 01-02-2001 06:22 PM


Originally posted by Satanic Dj:
And while I may have been a tad harsh near the end of that first post, it was supposed to sound angry...cause I'm pissed at Sony for being just another corperation that wants money. They dont want to make stuff to make people happy. They make it to make money. Ahhh..Capitialism at its finest.

< rant >
Well money makes the world go round, if a companies goal wasn't to make a profit they would be in trouble!! It takes a while for developers to create some really quality games, for instance Grand Turismo 2, imho that game was worth every penny i spent on it, but with every new console you will get a period (maybe upto a year) where the people that make the games explore the consoles features, i don't have a PS2 and don't intend to replace my PSX until the price of the PS2 is slashed in half because that is when most of the better quality games come out. Sony and any other console developer know that when you have a product that was as popular as the PS 1 was its going to cause a huge demand for the new version, therefore Song can demand the higher price for the product. The hardcore gamers (the ones first to get it *most of the time*) are ripped off completly i agree. But overall, if people are willing to pay the price why not charge it, if everyone said no not at that price they would drop there prices so quickly, but that will never happen, IMHO.
< /rant >

------------------
Swat 3 Retreat News Junkie
drunk@3dretreat.com
Visit my RS Clan site!!


Click Here to See the Profile for Drunk   Click Here to Email Drunk    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 31271461UIN: 31271461       IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-02-2001 07:55 PM


I beleive its every corperations godgivin right to be able to make money.

But when that becomes their one and only goal, the company starts to loose what made it great in the first place.

Sony isnt really a good example for that statement, cause they've been in it to make money from the Walkman.

The best example of this would be squaresoft. I mean...look at FF7....then 8.

They made 8 to make money, not to make people happey.

I think they fixed it with 9. 9 rocked. Played almost straight through.

------------------
praise the dj


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-02-2001 07:56 PM


ohhh! ohh!

and id.

id software used to make games to make games...

now they make games to make money.

TA is proof of that. There is no disputing that. Well...at least Adrian Carmack is doing it that way.

I think John is just happy sitting there coding.

------------------
praise the dj


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Warthog
Sergeant

Posts: 74
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 01-14-2001 10:19 PM


I don't by Sony crap.

Not their speakers, not their electronics definately not their consoles.

Warthog

------------------
Got Milk?


Click Here to See the Profile for Warthog   Click Here to Email Warthog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 79345269UIN: 79345269   Send an AIM Message to .......aol sucks..........    IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-27-2001 12:08 AM


Originally posted by Warthog:
I don't by Sony crap.

Not their speakers, not their electronics definately not their consoles.

Warthog

Some of their shit is alright. I just dont think they have the right to charge 90 extra dollars for the "S O N Y" leters on the front.

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Humtek
Moderator

Posts: 13
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 02-27-2001 08:46 PM


Dj have you ever played on the PS2. The graphics are NICE and their crisp and smooth. The loading takes a little while, but all cd games have to load. Just as all the old systems(Dreamcast, N64 etc..) They only started with like 2-10 gmaes on launch. Sony had 10+ games out on launch and they might be moving slow in the producing games, but look at N64 they came out with TWO games on launch. And they only had about 20 games out by their 5 months and sony has 30+ games out already. It all takes time.

------------------
David "Humtek" Vigil
Retreat Radio
humtek@3dretreat.com
http://radio.3dretreat.com
.plan


Click Here to See the Profile for Humtek   Click Here to Email Humtek    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 18184022UIN: 18184022   Send an AIM Message to Humtek    IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 03-06-2001 11:39 PM


Alright.

Its been a month or so since my original post.

A few things have changed....well..kinda.

The Playstation 2 is still outperformed in each and every way by the Dreamcast.

HOWEVER! I recently was allowd to play the Copy of Onimusha: Warlords that my store got in the other day, and I must say, I am VERY impressed.

I recently saw a movie for Zone Of The Enders. Once again, I am impressed.

I never said I wasn't going to give the PS2 a chance. But untill later this month, The only decent game has been SSX...and thats not saying much.


eventually I will get one...but not untill I pay less than $324.74 for the system and one controller...I just dont have that kind of money.

*crawls back under rock*

------------------

Is your god on the cover of a magizine?


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Captain

Posts: 114
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 03-14-2001 02:44 PM


Originally posted by Humtek:
sony has 30+ games out already. It all takes time.

Quality....not quantity.

Unless you REALLY like football...there arent any good games besides SSX. But that will change.

see...but by the time the big ps2 revolution hits...the xbox will be out.

heh...i wanna see those sony guys squirm.

------------------

Is your god on the cover of a magizine?


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
chrispix
Sergeant

Posts: 78
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 03-19-2001 11:00 AM


Hmm. Ok. you dont like the indreama? Is there any particular reason why? My next console will be either the Xbox or the Indreama.. The reasoning for the indrema, if you have not read about it.. Its open source.. yes built on linux.. so flame me.. Anyway.. Open source means that people can make games for the indrema without paying exorbitant licensing fees. This will also allow you to download games off the net for free.. Do you know any other consoles that will let you download free games.. As for its other features.. wow! For 300$ (their price that they are going to sell it for). You not only get a pretty kick ass game systme, that has a sweet audio processor, and an upgradable video card.. But you get a DVD player, and a personal video recorder. Go price a Dream Cast, DVD player and personal video recorder for me for less than 300$.. I bet you cant..

As for your original post you missed out on a few game systems.. I know you hit on the main ones.. But there was a pretty good following of TG16's (turbo graphix 16) down in dallas. I think that was probably one of the best designs (ahead of its time too).. I mean I bought a CD rom for the TG16 back in like '93.. The games were interchangable between the main TG16, and the Turbo Graphix express (the COLOR portable). There are several other systems, the neo geo. etc.. I cant remember all of them. but I think that the TG-16 deserves to be up there..

------------------
/Chrispix
My homepage of pixemon, webcam and more


Click Here to See the Profile for chrispix   Click Here to Email chrispix    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24178629UIN: 24178629   Send an AIM Message to ctravis77   Send a message to chrispix99UIN: 24178629 IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47