Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  TANGO News
  Battlecom Server

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Battlecom Server
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 19
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 12-06-2000 11:39 AM


TANGO will be hosting a Battlecom server at the next LAN Party. Battlecom will allow teams to chat voice while playing games. The only additional equipment required to participate is a microphone to go with your headphones. We recomend picking up a pair of headphones with an attached microphone but anything will work. You will also need to download and install the client software. You can get it from Battlecom's web site or download if from me here .

I am hosting a test server at 64.13.71.139 for everyone to log into and check it out. Please download the client and let us know what you think. I will keep the server active as much as possible until the 6 January 2001 event.


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
Shroomhd
Sergeant

Posts: 56
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-06-2000 05:23 PM


That is awesome! But can I just use regular headphones and the microphone attacted to my monitor?

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Shroomhd   Click Here to Email Shroomhd    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 74938695UIN: 74938695   Send an AIM Message to Foulk1    IP Logged
sniper
3d Retreat

Posts: 123
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-06-2000 06:14 PM


I tested it but no one was on.. boohoo.. :-) It seams to work thought... good idea..

Dam I better still not be a captian.. I want my staff status back!! bah!

------------------
-=Sniper=-
News Editor/HTML Programmer
http://www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for sniper   Click Here to Email sniper    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24721190UIN: 24721190   Send an AIM Message to BimmerLovR    IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 19
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 12-06-2000 07:58 PM


When I initially set up the server, I used the integrated sound in my P-166 laptop. It seemed to work fine. I'm not sure that I would want to use it in a gaming enviornment but it did work. I suppose that you'd have to log into the test server and check it out.

Also, J tested it out while playing UT. He claimed that it did not cause any noticable effect except that if you choose to use the push-to-talk setting be sure to bind it to a key not used in your game.


As for being lonely on the server, yes it's a little useless and unimpressive if you are the only one in the room or on the channel. That is, unless you are schitzophrenic. Again, I plan to leave it running as much as possible until the 6th of January. Hopefully, as more people are aware of its existance, it will be frenquented more often.

Just FYI, the server is being hosted on a 1.1Mbps SDSL connection with a limmit of 20 concurrent sessions. (I've got to leave a little bandwidth for work)

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
j
Private

Posts: 9
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 12-07-2000 09:12 AM


I will be on the battlecom server tuesday nights from 7 till 9

------------------
j
Event Coordinator
Gaming Specialist


Click Here to See the Profile for j   Click Here to Email j    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
dune
3d Retreat

Posts: 103
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-07-2000 09:48 AM


As long as you have speakers and a microphone and your computer is working with them fine, that's all you need. Please use the test server to tweak before the party.

------------------
dune/3dR
http://www.3dretreat.com, 3d Retreat
http://tango.3dretreat.com, Texas Area Network Gamers Organization


Click Here to See the Profile for dune   Click Here to Email dune    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 1399199UIN: 1399199       IP Logged
Paladin
Private

Posts: 9
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 12-07-2000 10:00 AM


BattleCom seems to be working fine...having a problem with CT sound not sharing, apparently theres some data on the BattleCom site (http://www.shadowfactor.com/)
UT appears to be playing nice with BattleCom. I've tested neither with other players yet so... I'm posting a tentative schedule here of when I'm available for testing with others.

Sun 2p-9p
Mon, Wed 7p-9p
Tue, Thu 6p-7:30p
Fri 6p-Midnight
Sat Anytime

Times are tentative...(I do have a life)
But I will make time if you schedule ahead. (provided the Spousal unit does not veto)

Please contact me with when you'd like to get together online. Plan on using TANGO test server 64.13.71.139 (thx Lund777/Scooby)

------------------
Have Gun Will Travel
Wire Paladin
paladin@mail.nu


Click Here to See the Profile for Paladin   Click Here to Email Paladin    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 98164510UIN: 98164510       IP Logged
Paladin
Private

Posts: 9
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 12-07-2000 05:04 PM


This is all I could find on the battlecom site:

When I start Half Life, I lose game sound, or game sound plays in mono not
stereo.

Some users have reported that they get no sound or mono sound when they start
Half Life or Half Life: Counter Strike. This is a known problem with Half Life.
To fix the sound problem, hit "Escape" in the game to exit to the game's main
menu, and then click "Resume." In many cases, this will fix the sound problem.

and unfortunately it is still not working.
Does anyone else have further information?

Thx, Paladin


------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Paladin   Click Here to Email Paladin    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 98164510UIN: 98164510       IP Logged
chrispix
Private

Posts: 36
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-07-2000 10:28 PM


Try upgrading to DX 8?

------------------
/Chrispix


Click Here to See the Profile for chrispix   Click Here to Email chrispix    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24178629UIN: 24178629   Send an AIM Message to ctravis77   Send a message to chrispix99UIN: 24178629 IP Logged
coolant
3d Retreat

Posts: 92
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 12-07-2000 11:32 PM


what kinda sound card ya got? is it full duplex?

------------------
- coolant
coolant@ritual.com
If you head is made out of butter, stay away from the fire.


Click Here to See the Profile for coolant   Click Here to Email coolant    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 100282766UIN: 100282766   Send an AIM Message to CoolantSV    IP Logged
Paladin
Private

Posts: 9
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 12-07-2000 11:38 PM


What is DX8?

BattleCom tested ok on full duplex, doesn't seem to conflict when running UT. Sound Card is standard SB16 type.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Paladin   Click Here to Email Paladin    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 98164510UIN: 98164510       IP Logged
coolant
3d Retreat

Posts: 92
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 12-08-2000 02:02 PM


DirectX 8 = dx8 (www.microsoft.com/directx - i think)....make SURE you can listen to music and talk and it'll record. Or, try to run a shoutcast server. If you can run one of those, ya got full duplex.

------------------
- coolant
coolant@ritual.com
If you head is made out of butter, stay away from the fire.


Click Here to See the Profile for coolant   Click Here to Email coolant    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 100282766UIN: 100282766   Send an AIM Message to CoolantSV    IP Logged
Paladin
Private

Posts: 9
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 12-14-2000 04:13 PM


Well, I believe I have BattleCom working, but I'll be damned if I can find anyone else gaming with it. If anyone wants to try this thing out in a real game environment please drop me a line.

Thx,
Paladin

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Paladin   Click Here to Email Paladin    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 98164510UIN: 98164510       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47