Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  TANGO News
  Another one down, and 382098737287 left to go.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Another one down, and 382098737287 left to go.
dune
3d Retreat

Posts: 119
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 01-07-2001 02:29 PM


Overall, another sucessful TANGO lan event as helped kicked off the new year. Want to thank to the TANGO staff for helping to resolve power issues in a timely manner. If it's not one thing that gets you (server issues), it's another (power problems).

Also, I would once again like to thank our attendees. I hope everyone had a great time, and got in many many hours of gaming.

Our next event will be in approximately two months, in early March -- watch for it!


Click Here to See the Profile for dune   Click Here to Email dune    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 1399199UIN: 1399199       IP Logged
[theHorde]Harada
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-07-2001 11:07 PM


I can honestly say that this event has definately inspired us to return again. Aside of the minor issues with power that party ROCKED. Cant wait for the next one.


------------------
Vae Victus


Click Here to See the Profile for [theHorde]Harada    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
coolant
3d Retreat

Posts: 184
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-08-2001 12:02 AM


awesome man! i had an AWESOME time too!

------------------
- coolant
coolant@ritual.com
If your head is made out of butter, stay away from the fire.


Click Here to See the Profile for coolant   Click Here to Email coolant    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 100282766UIN: 100282766   Send an AIM Message to CoolantSV    IP Logged
sniper
3d Retreat

Posts: 162
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 01-08-2001 02:25 AM


Well I'm bloody home now from TANGO and I had a great time!! Wanted to thank yall for making it so fun for me since I had to fly to be there.

It was some Good ol'e gaming fun!!!

------------------
-=Sniper=-
News Editor/HTML Programmer
http://www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for sniper   Click Here to Email sniper    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24721190UIN: 24721190   Send an AIM Message to BimmerLovR    IP Logged
Paladin
Private

Posts: 11
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-08-2001 09:50 AM


Just would Like to say Thx to the TANGO Staff & the Sponsors for making my FIRST lanparty experience a fun one.

I'll be back next time, (hopefully with a better system, more games & more skills)

By the way...are the winners of the tourneys going to be posted here? I hope to get good enough to compete eventually.

Later, Gotta go play with my nVIDIA ball...

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Paladin   Click Here to Email Paladin    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 98164510UIN: 98164510       IP Logged
[theHorde]Synful
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-08-2001 02:58 PM


yea it rocked house. cant wait to beat on you guyz again. I need to start practicin for the Nvidia ball Tournament, uh...how many unassisted 2" bounces are required for the $1000 prize?

hopefully thehorde and 3dr will have a closer relationship as we look to develop a Fort Worth based Lan the size of yours.

cya online playaz.

rockout with ya kock out.

------------------
powered by linux


Click Here to See the Profile for [theHorde]Synful   Click Here to Email [theHorde]Synful    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 9692399UIN: 9692399   Send an AIM Message to siynful    IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 628
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 01-08-2001 03:18 PM


By the way...are the winners of the tourneys going to be posted here

Good suggestion. I definately think we need to get the winners of each of the tournaments posted on the site. It's a good idea to show the rest of the world that wasn't at the party what all happened inside, hehe.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com
.plan file


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Mordichai
Private

Posts: 38
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-08-2001 05:20 PM


Minus the power outages, TANGO kicked huge amounts of donkey dick... It was almost as good as the CPL events. Granted they've got lots more experience under their belt but I think I prefered the smaller event. Fewer people are much easier to manage. Only thing I can say I'm dissapointed about is that it didn't last longer. You think mabey we could get TANGO to last 2 days next time. Quakecon, Frag 4 and Babbages were all several day things. And ya gotta admit that theres just something about falling asleep in front of your computer and waking up the next day to much more fragging just has a wonderful feel to it. Plus getting away from the parents for a few days is nice. §Þ

------------------
only get up to pee and eat. Never stop fragging


Click Here to See the Profile for Mordichai   Click Here to Email Mordichai    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 30267853UIN: 30267853   Send an AIM Message to Thoth  Lynx    IP Logged
The Columnist
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-08-2001 09:02 PM


I've been really regretting the past couple of TANGO LAN parties my Dad and I have missed. Since the first party in the small room across the hall in the Plano Convention Center, we've watched TANGO grow into the great production it is now and we're very pleased. The guys that put together the TANGO LAN are wonderful human beings and I'm always glad to see when good things happen to good people. My father and I are looking forward to March when we can play with all you dedicated gamers again!

Oh, and I'd like to ask: Some of you have mentioned the CPL (of which I'm *not* a fan) in it passing and it's comparative relationship to our friends at the TANGO LAN. Is the growing appeal of our beloved TANGO LAN because it's purely about the games rather than the shameless and blatant pandering to the lowest common denominator like the CPL is (Anyone been to a CPL tournament knows it's more of a cross between a corporate trade show, circus side show and X-rated striptease with all profits going directly into the coffers of Mr. Munoz) or do people come to TANGO because they can get free Bawlz and t-shirts?

Scott

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for The Columnist    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
coolant
3d Retreat

Posts: 184
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-08-2001 10:26 PM


yah, we try to make it JUST GAMING with tourneys and such. We do not try to make it a media circus or anything like that and it is not. Just a bunch of geeks (right, snicker?) getting together and having fun

------------------
- coolant
coolant@ritual.com
If your head is made out of butter, stay away from the fire.


Click Here to See the Profile for coolant   Click Here to Email coolant    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 100282766UIN: 100282766   Send an AIM Message to CoolantSV    IP Logged
Mordichai
Private

Posts: 38
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-11-2001 11:37 PM


I love TANGO and the CPL events for 2 different reasons. TANGO I love because it reminds me of the lan partys I hold over at my own home xcept with a WHOLE lot more people. CPL I love because of all the free stuff and 4 days with no parents. I will admit that the CPL being a proffing organization does turn the events into a media circus but thats half the fun. Getting your name in the paper for fragging would be a truly newsworthy event as far as I'm concerned. And taking home a couple thousand ta boot isn't half bad.

------------------
only get up to pee and eat. Never stop fragging


Click Here to See the Profile for Mordichai   Click Here to Email Mordichai    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 30267853UIN: 30267853   Send an AIM Message to Thoth  Lynx    IP Logged
The Columnist
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-12-2001 11:15 PM


What I truly appreciated about TANGO was that it was a family atmosphere. "Edgy" enough to bring in the uber-cool teens but friendly enough to have sons, fathers, uncles and cousins play with total strangers and still say: "Good game" even after a crushing defeat to a superior team.

Contrast this to the CPL, where the glory of the guy with the most "gibs" is tantamount to a religious experience thanks to a couple of thousand dollars to the teen with the twitchiest mouse-button finger in "Quake" up on the big screen in the hotel lobby! The apotheosis of Romero/Carmack/Thresh continues with each Q&A session about the state of PC gaming! "Extreme" hardware makers shove swag into young and gullible hands in the hopes that stepdads and grandmothers will bow to the pressure of the whining teen to buy their wares at a retail store! Strippers pose for pictures at software and "hard"ware booths in a display of the cliché "Sex Sells!"

Average age of a CPL attendee? Fifteen. Parents have no reservations about sending a kid off to Dallas because they don't know Munoz and his company have moved Las Vegas to the CPL in Texas.

I can't see TANGO ever getting this bad, but is that *really* what people want out of a LAN party?

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for The Columnist    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
dune
3d Retreat

Posts: 119
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 01-14-2001 11:15 PM


The TANGO staff appreciates all the great comments. It has long been our focus to host regular, mid-sized LAN events open to EVERYONE. While tournaments and prizes tend to be synonmous with most events (which is why we have them), we will always zero down to the core of our purpose, LAN GAMING. We will do whatever it takes to make sure that, above anything else, is handled successfuly.

------------------
dune/3dR
http://www.3dretreat.com, 3d Retreat
http://www.tangolan.com, Texas Area Network Gamers Organization


Click Here to See the Profile for dune   Click Here to Email dune    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 1399199UIN: 1399199       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47