Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Discussion
  Music @ da party

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Music @ da party
Satanic Dj
Sergeant

Posts: 79
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-02-2001 08:05 PM


Hows it gonna work this time?

Speakers up front?

or can anyone with a decent playlist and some nice speakers provide a plesent atmosphere for the gang?

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
by-tor
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-02-2001 11:55 PM


I have a little program that just plays mp3 files that are put in a shared folder. This could be run on one of the servers (one with good speakers... and then give everyone write permissions to the folder, and people could upload music that they wanted to hear. Pretty cool idea, you'd just have to tell everybody not to flood the thing to give everybody a chance to put stuff in there.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for by-tor   Click Here to Email by-tor    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 6431978UIN: 6431978       IP Logged
by-tor
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-03-2001 12:47 AM


Just played with this program a little, and it works ok, although it will only run in win9x, so it may not be very useful if you want to run it on a server.

It's not the best player, but it does work, and I think it'd be really cool at the party.

/By-Tor

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for by-tor   Click Here to Email by-tor    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 6431978UIN: 6431978       IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 77
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-03-2001 09:28 AM


Originally posted by by-tor:
Just played with this program a little, and it works ok, although it will only run in win9x, so it may not be very useful if you want to run it on a server.

It's not the best player, but it does work, and I think it'd be really cool at the party.

/By-Tor

Send me the link and I'll see what I can do.

As for permissions to a folder, at tango, we discourage the usage of computer browsing. Instead, we have put much effort into hosting FTP sites. This practice better optimizes network bandwidth and eliminates problems with security across multiple platforms.

Also, along the same lines, we are planning to host an MP3 FTP site at the next party. It'll start with around 20Gb already on it. We will have a 70Gb drive dedicated to MP3's.

------------------

Texas Area Network Gamers organization
http://www.tangolan.com


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
by-tor
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-03-2001 10:05 AM


Hey Scooby,

This program is no longer supported by the author, and it's pretty old. It runs under DOS, so that's why no Win2k. I can e-mail the program to you if you want, but there's no website anymore.

Post here and let me know if you want me to e-mail it to you. I can do that tonight when I get home from work...

The program doesn't have to have a "shared" folder via file sharing, per se, just a folder full of mp3's to play. The program deletes the files as they are played. You could just give upload rights to some directory on the ftp server and it would work, I'm sure.

I located a command line mp3 player last night, which could be used for the same purpose, if somebody has a little batch file or PERL programming skillz. I'd do it myself, but I doubt I'll have the time before Saturday.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to e-mail it to you.

/By-Tor

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for by-tor   Click Here to Email by-tor    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 6431978UIN: 6431978       IP Logged
dookiebot
Sergeant

Posts: 88
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-03-2001 10:28 AM


I have 2 technics 1200 turntables and a mixer and some crates of techno records if you want me to DJ?

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for dookiebot   Click Here to Email dookiebot    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to dookiebot    IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Sergeant

Posts: 79
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-03-2001 11:38 AM


ya know....I think that would be a really cool thing to do at future events.

Theres just something about live djs that make an event really shine....ya know what I mean?

Plus, open tables would be a nice kick for those of us that know what to do with those damned things.

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 77
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-03-2001 11:48 AM


by-tor,
Mail me that program to scooby@tangolan.com I've never had problems with command line apps under NT and if all elce fails, I have a laptop with Winders. Dune has an amp so all I gotta dig up is a good set of speakers.

Dookiebot,
If you would like to do live DJ-ing, contact Dune at dune@tangolan.com . I am in charge of Network Services. Dune is Event Coordinator. My only concern is space. Dune and Neghvar have re-designed the floor plan to allow for maximum attendance. I have not seen the plans as yet.

------------------

Texas Area Network Gamers organization
http://www.tangolan.com


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
by-tor
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-03-2001 12:46 PM


Hey Scoob, (sorry, had to do it)

I'll mail it to you tonight (probably later tonight after the Orange bowl game, watching it at a friend's place so I won't be home till then...).

The problem is not the command line app itself, it is the mp3 playing app which has a sound config which seems to hang under win2k. Like I said, it's an old DOS app and it's trying to configure i/o address, irq, dma channel etc. for the sound card from a DOS box so I'm not surprised it won't work in win2k. Anyway, I'll e-mail it to ya with instructions tonight.

/By-Tor

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for by-tor   Click Here to Email by-tor    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 6431978UIN: 6431978       IP Logged
dookiebot
Sergeant

Posts: 88
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-03-2001 03:36 PM


Thanks I will email Dune. Though I my record selection is pretty much underground house/ambient/drum and bass music. It would probably piss a lot of people off.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for dookiebot   Click Here to Email dookiebot    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to dookiebot    IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Sergeant

Posts: 79
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-04-2001 05:12 AM


yes dooki...we are a rare breed..

seems not alot of people like drum n bass or house much anymore...

oh well.

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
dookiebot
Sergeant

Posts: 88
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-04-2001 08:53 AM


heh I know what you mean. Personally I miss the dance music sound from 94-96 it was more.... how can I put this... free form? I think dance music these days needs a good kick in the arse but there is still some good stuff out there.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for dookiebot   Click Here to Email dookiebot    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to dookiebot    IP Logged
Mordichai
Sergeant

Posts: 59
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-04-2001 02:15 PM


Even though I do love the techno shizt (rave rules) there are other types of stuff out there. Where this chat is going it sounds like were trying to set up an undgerground club with PC gaming terminals. Not a lan party but something still worth while, I guess.

------------------
only get up to pee and eat. Never stop fragging


Click Here to See the Profile for Mordichai   Click Here to Email Mordichai    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 30267853UIN: 30267853   Send an AIM Message to Thoth  Lynx    IP Logged
dookiebot
Sergeant

Posts: 88
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-04-2001 02:47 PM


I've seen pics of LAN parties in Austin where dj's were spinning.

No way we r trying to turn it into a club. I doubt anyone will be doing any dancing.

Plus I think techno and gaming goes hand in hand. Think about every game soundtrack. More than half of them are techno, there is a large group of electronic/grunge hybrids also. I can't think of any games they have a Britney Spears or Garth Brooks sound to them.

But it's no biggie. Dune has said that the mp3's playing in the background is enough so that's how it is going to be.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for dookiebot   Click Here to Email dookiebot    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to dookiebot    IP Logged
G-MAN
Newbie

Posts: 3
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-04-2001 03:26 PM


I just heard of TANGO and I believe I might just show up to see how everything goes. Never been to a Lan party, so it would mostly be a learning experience. Scooby, if you still need speakers, I have two CV 12 stereo speakers that the party could use. See ya there!

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for G-MAN    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Sergeant

Posts: 79
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-04-2001 05:29 PM


Originally posted by Mordichai:
Where this chat is going it sounds like were trying to set up an undgerground club with PC gaming terminals. Not a lan party but something still worth while, I guess.

Nah...not how I pictured it at all....I would draw the line at a live dj...no lights.

Its just that sometimes live djs make better music than a computer with a playlist.

Have fun in Florida?

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Sergeant

Posts: 79
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-04-2001 05:31 PM


Oh yeah...and dookiebot...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010104151345063180042108821443?pid=807053

are those the ones you have?

expencive little monkies aren't they?
hmm....guess I'll have to go rob a bank after all.

I'm trying to find a decent set to get started...what would you reccomend?

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 77
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-04-2001 06:13 PM


G-MAN:

If they're convient to bring, go ahead. Dune reminded me that the room we rent has a sound system built in. We're going to see what we can do to jack straight into that.

------------------

Texas Area Network Gamers organization
http://www.tangolan.com


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
dookiebot
Sergeant

Posts: 88
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-05-2001 09:38 AM


Yeah those are my tables.

I got a good deal on mine. I got the 2 turn tables, the coffin, and mixer for $950.

I also have 2 Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre speakers which stand about 5 feet tall with 15 inch woofers and tweeter horns that rest on top of the speaker. Those things RULE. They are loud and accurate in replicating the sound from the records.

As far a turntable for you. My only advice is to not get a belt driven turntable because the friction from the belt will cause the speed of the record to fluxuate a bit and it will be near impossible to keep two songs in sync for a long period of time.

Technics 1200 is what 99.9% of all dj use though because the company has been around forever and man those things never break down but they cost you out the butt.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for dookiebot   Click Here to Email dookiebot    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to dookiebot    IP Logged
dookiebot
Sergeant

Posts: 88
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-05-2001 01:37 PM


Here is a pic of the sound system I use.
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/3622/vot/vot-a7.jpg

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for dookiebot   Click Here to Email dookiebot    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to dookiebot    IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Sergeant

Posts: 79
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-05-2001 04:54 PM


yeah...

'tis an expencive hobby...

and If I ever get enough money together I will be unstoppable...

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Mordichai
Sergeant

Posts: 59
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-08-2001 05:49 PM


Nah...not how I pictured it at all....I would draw the line at a live dj...no lights.

Its just that sometimes live djs make better music than a computer with a playlist.

"posted by Satanic DJ"
(btw... how do you guys get that italiced text that shows you are replying to something else)

Actually DJ, you were sitting next to Paranoia at the event. If they woulda let him use his speakers then a computer with a playlist can actually get pretty badass. But alas, his speakers sucked to much power and Scooby talked him out of using them §Þ. hehehe.. I told him not to bring em

------------------
only get up to pee and eat. Never stop fragging


Click Here to See the Profile for Mordichai   Click Here to Email Mordichai    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 30267853UIN: 30267853   Send an AIM Message to Thoth  Lynx    IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 77
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-09-2001 08:08 AM


Originally posted by Mordichai:
btw... how do you guys get that italiced text that shows you are replying to something else

Use the 'Quote' button below each post

Originally posted by Mordichai:
But alas, his speakers sucked to much power and Scooby talked him out of using them §Þ

In the past, we have had systems set up. Unfortunately, as we grow larger, power becomes more an issue. Last time, we used every bit of power avalible on the west end of the building (Or so they tell us. I don't believe them) If it were not for that reason, I would have welcomed their use. Thanks for bringin' them even if we didn't get to use them.

------------------

Texas Area Network Gamers organization
http://www.tangolan.com


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Sergeant

Posts: 79
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 01-09-2001 10:29 AM


If I remember correctly, at about 5-6 PM the entire table behind us cleared out, and I think it would have been ok to tuen on the speakers and pump some shit out.

and Mordi...

below our posts is a little thing that says "quote"....I think you can take it from there...its all using UBB code which is fairly easy

Now, if only i could get dune to enable the [ img ] tag...

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
xyvyx
Newbie

Posts: 4
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 01-10-2001 07:11 PM


So, they weren't too happy about the power drain ? Darn.. I was gonna ask if I should bring my Sunfire! If you like mind (and stomach) numbing techno, it doesn't get much better...

-MC|Yoda

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for xyvyx   Click Here to Email xyvyx    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2661995UIN: 2661995       IP Logged
Mordichai
Sergeant

Posts: 59
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 01-18-2001 05:40 PM


Yeah, I suppose it woulda been cool for Paranoia to blast out when that table cleared, but then again 5-6 was when I was doing some of my best gaming. I would have killed him if I couldn't hear those CS footsteps over his speakers. Plus, when Paranoia gets to choose the music we generally don't get all that much of a variety in music. Usually the same ol' chit but in techno remix format. Gets pretty old pretty fast if ya know what I mean.

------------------
only get up to pee and eat. Never stop fragging


Click Here to See the Profile for Mordichai   Click Here to Email Mordichai    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 30267853UIN: 30267853   Send an AIM Message to Thoth  Lynx    IP Logged
viperx
Captain

Posts: 100
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 02-26-2001 07:26 PM


music would own j00 all

------------------
THE NEW AND IMPROVED VIPERX HERE ME ROAR


Click Here to See the Profile for viperx   Click Here to Email viperx    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to TANGOlanPARTY    IP Logged
Satanic Dj
Sergeant

Posts: 79
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-26-2001 11:32 PM


Originally posted by Mordichai:
Yeah, I suppose it woulda been cool for Paranoia to blast out when that table cleared, but then again 5-6 was when I was doing some of my best gaming. I would have killed him if I couldn't hear those CS footsteps over his speakers. Plus, when Paranoia gets to choose the music we generally don't get all that much of a variety in music. Usually the same ol' chit but in techno remix format. Gets pretty old pretty fast if ya know what I mean.

heh...I'll smack him down.

------------------
my god comes in a wrapper of cellophane


Click Here to See the Profile for Satanic Dj   Click Here to Email Satanic Dj    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 56469426UIN: 56469426       IP Logged
Mordichai
Sergeant

Posts: 59
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 03-02-2001 09:16 PM


Originally posted by Satanic Dj:
heh...I'll smack him down.

Fun. Are we talking game wise or physically??
Personally I'm up for both.

------------------

Never stop gaming. Only get up to eat and pee.


Click Here to See the Profile for Mordichai   Click Here to Email Mordichai    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 30267853UIN: 30267853   Send an AIM Message to Thoth  Lynx    IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47