|
3d Retreat Forums
![]() General Discussion
![]() TANGO vs. The CPL
|
| next newest topic | next oldest topic |
| Author | Topic: TANGO vs. The CPL | |||
|
Mordichai Private ![]()
Posts: 48 |
For all you forum surfers who have been checking the retreat forums lately, you might have noticed a slight disagreement, mainly between The Columnist and myself. I usually argue the CPL's side while he takes up the cause of TANGO. While I do love both events my personal preferences lean towards the CPLs. They last longer, have more free stuff and are generally a great deal larger. While on the plus side of TANGO I like the fact that there are fewer people to get to know and its more of a "family" atmosphere, as the columnist put it. I agree with both points but I would just like to find out what the rest of the forum readers think about the two events. I'm not trying to hurt TANGO in anyway but I just want to see what good and bad points other people have noticed in both CPL events and TANGO events. ------------------ | |||
|
Hamhouke Private ![]()
Posts: 12 |
I say the more the better. I love the whole LAN gaming scene. TANGO, CPL, nextdoor neighbor, whatever. I like that there is a difference between TANGO and CPL. Obviously CPL has some heavy spending sponsors, they should with over 1000 hardcore gamers gathered in one place. And the giveaways benifit from this fact. Lets face it, how many P4 systems (YUCK-AMD Baby!), Razers, mombos, joysticks, soundcards, etc.. whould TANGO have to give to put the organizers in the poor house? Not many. If your lookin for premo swag - the CPL is the place. And havin 800 +/- BYOCers in a room earns schweet points in my book, and CPL can pull plenty of case mods with some [H]ard help. And that's all in addition to the phat cash prizes for the most l337 among us. But, at $40 a head you gotta want to be there, and for a long time, to get you $$$s worth outta it. Id definatly isn't a casual 12hr gathering of friends. No gettin in and gettin out. Parking is a drag too. That's where TANGO fits in. No $15,000 prizes or anything, but it is at such an interval and duration that the wives shouldn't give you much greef about going. The folks are generaly frendly and helpful (not to say they aren't at CPL), and you remimber them the next time your there. Admission is decent, they got the sodas and sometimes Bawls, and you don't have to take vacation to attend. So there's my 2cents. I say go to as many as you can and get your Game On! ------------------ | |||
|
coolant 3d Retreat
Posts: 164 |
hamhouke, did ya come to last tango? I wanted to say hey to ya - but, i didn't see ya. Maybe I can still kick ya ass in q3 ![]() ------------------ | |||
|
NeghVar Private ![]()
Posts: 10 |
Keep in mind that the CPL has the money and the large corp. sponsors to pull off such a huge event. Tango is still a growing child. ------------------ | |||
|
Satanic Dj Sergeant ![]()
Posts: 72 |
How do you compare a full fledged gaming organization to a small local-based community? I think that as long as there are more people, there should be more space. As some of you already have heard, I despised the fact that there were 4 to 6 people to a table. I am a slight claustrophobic, and I like a little breathing room, plus, my computer and monitor typically take up more space than other peoples. The other thing is the varity of the games. I am currently at a LAN party where half the people attending left, because they found out that not everyone there was going to play CS. Now thats just fucking stupid. And to think, these people call themselvs gamers. ------------------ | |||
|
Mike64 Private ![]()
Posts: 15 |
I agree, TANGO doesn't have anywhere written that this is an ALL CS LAN... so people need to lighten up. ------------------ | |||
|
Mordichai Private ![]()
Posts: 48 |
Thats the point. I'm not making a comparison. I greatly love both CPL and TANGO. But I figured I'd see if anyone else despised the CPL as much as the Columnist did. I personally didn't see anything wrong with either TANGO or CPL and just wondered what everyone else thought. ------------------ | |||
|
Satanic Dj Sergeant ![]()
Posts: 72 |
I despise the CPL for making me pay 40 bucks. I despise the CPL for making me preregester online. I dont have a fucking credit card...how am I supposed to 100% secure a spot without a credit card? I cant! I despise the CPL for making all female tournaments...are they not good enough to play with the boys? (and besides, how are we gonna meet chicks that dig what we dig if they keep seperating us?) umm...thats about it. If your gonna go big, ya gotta go big. I personally prefer either 300 people, or 12. but thats just me. ------------------ | |||
|
dune 3d Retreat ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 137 |
We've noticed alot of people like the "family" atmosphere of tango. Although we're still growing, we're trying to keep it more like those smaller lans at people houses, only with more people. As for the CPL, the "media-circus" atmosphere seems to be what most people despise. ------------------ | |||
|
Satanic Dj Sergeant ![]()
Posts: 72 |
ok.....mabey 30-40. So long as I have breating room. ------------------ | |||
|
Mordichai Private ![]()
Posts: 48 |
I think I have a final conclusion on this CPL vs TANGO thing I was wondering about. I never should have asked the question. I didn't realize people were so bloody passionate about the subject. As far as I'm concerned, a lan party is a lan party. Whether it be 10 peeps at a house, 100 at TANGO or 1000 at the CPL. Whatever floats ur boat. I just love my lanning ------------------ | |||
|
Mordichai Private ![]()
Posts: 48 |
quick question guys... I notice severl spiffy little pics inside some of you guys signatures.. I tried to copy how I "though" you guys did it but I guess I'm just stoopid. Help!! How can I get a pic in my signature ------------------ | |||
|
Bluez Private ![]()
Posts: 22 |
You did it right, just don't include the spaces. -Bluezy Bunny ------------------ | |||
|
Mordichai Private ![]()
Posts: 48 |
Where do I put spaces???? ------------------ | |||
|
The Columnist Private ![]()
Posts: 10 |
I am partial to the TANGO organization because they are **NOT** hypocrites. This is not a matter of "hating" someone because I don't really hate anyone - I just hate hypocrisy. To have the man that organizes the CPL to claim that he's doing a service to "the gaming community" just for the "love" of the kids and the fans is gutsy. It's gutsy because the man is an investment banker who is in this thing to make money and little else. Money is **NOT** a bad thing, but for the head of the CPL to be self-serving and hypocritical enough to publicly say something like: "Oh, I know I make a lot of money with the CPL but that's not why I'm doing it. I'm doing this for my daughter so that she will have the things I didn't have growing up in Puerto Rico. I want all kids to benefit from the CPL because my family has benefitted from it. Money's not important when it comes to my passion for helping kids and gamers like me." This isn't a direct quote but it *IS* what the guy has said in the past if you really look at it. Ted Turner gives a billion dollars to the UN because he says that the "relatively rich" countries like America should do more to help. Believe me, Ted ain't doin' this to make the world a better place - he's doing this to get his name in the paper and feel good about himself. Ted made plenty of money and feels guilty about having all that money for some reason. If he really "believed" in that cause and wanted to help starving babies in some Third-World hole 18,000 miles away he'd quietly take a month off of work, get on a plane and volunteer to plant rice in a village somewhere in Boola-Boola. NEWS FLASH!: Rich people don't have a responsibility to give back to the world. However, many do and that's a good thing. Unlike many of us rich people have the money to donate for a good cause, but this doesn't automatically make them swell people. There's not a more evil person than the rich man that says: "Don't be concerned with money because money isn't everything. Do what you can to make other's happy." Yeah, easy for a rich man to say - the rich man can afford to say "money isn't everything" because they ALREADY HAVE PLENTY OF MONEY. I will never look up to anyone who tells me that I should gladly pay taxes upon taxes for governmental services I'll never use (like Social Security) and then I should gladly pay MORE in "charity" (because if I don't give to charity, I'll be a bad person or, even worse, a greedy capitalist scum) to help those people who won't work because of all the benefits purchased for them by my taxes. Do I think that TANGO is in this for the money? No, they put together these parties for the love of it. What happens when they become rich off of these parties and still claim to "love it" and say "we're not in it for the money?" Well, because I know at least one of them by his first name and admire his hard work on making TANGO fun, I'll voice my displeasure and disappointment to him and the rest of the guys in TANGO. Do I think I'll ever have to do that? Absolutely not. These guys at TANGO are very down-to-earth people who will gladly tell the truth: The money is nice and we're happy to get it, but we put it back into the TANGO parties because we want to make it better and make it as fun as when we first rented that room for 28 people in the summer of last year. That's what makes TANGO superior and why it will remain superior to the CPL no matter how big either organizations get. ------------------ | |||
|
Bluez Private ![]()
Posts: 22 |
You don't want spaces. Take'em out. [IMG]"space"http://v_mordichai_v.tripod.com/welcomeeye.gif"space"[/IMG] That's bad mojo. -Bluezy Bunny | |||
|
Bluez Private ![]()
Posts: 22 |
See? It can be done! Edit my post, copy the signature portion, press the back button on your browser and paste that into your profile's signature. Or just get rid of the spaces. -Bluezy Bunny ------------------ | |||
|
viperx Sergeant ![]()
Posts: 65 |
Noo... ------------------ | |||
|
Bluez Private ![]()
Posts: 22 |
Yes? -Bluezy Bunny ------------------ | |||
|
j Private ![]()
Posts: 26 |
Tango wants to stay down-to-earth. Our goal is to make a LAN party that is not a profit organization. Tango is kind of like a unsuccessful politician i.e. a politician that cares about the people. Hope fully tango will not go the way of a unsuccessful politician i.e. they are lost in the swarm of corruption as they quietly are push in the back for being honest and caring about the people more than the next election. However I think tango will rise because we try so hard and give prizes away at the same time with out making it the purpose of our events. I don’t know the character or his true intentions in “providing” CPL.
I am rich/joy if I keep the two great commandments.
------------------ |
All times are CST (US) | next newest topic | next oldest topic |
![]() |
|
3d Retreat © 2000
Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47