|
3d Retreat Forums
![]() General Discussion
![]() What is Linux good for?
|
| next newest topic | next oldest topic |
| Author | Topic: What is Linux good for? | ||
|
The Columnist Private ![]()
Posts: 10 |
Let's say I've had a MS-Windows computer for a while and have had few problems. Sure, there's a blue screen every two months from installing some buggy game demo but nothing major. Now, I keep hearing nothing but bad stuff about Microsoft. I hear on "Slashdot" that Bill Gates is the unholy child of Adolph Hitler's third clone to survive the process in that lab in Brazil and the Borg Queen. Eric S. Raymond tells me that the Bazaar is preferable to the Cathedral. Richard Stallman of the Free Software Foundation is arguing about how copyrights kill "creativity and innovation" because his "copyleft" makes all software free to everyone because of the "social implications" of Linux/GNU. My question is: "Is this all true and if so, what happened to Apple (since all the same things are often said about the Mac OS)?"
| ||
|
coolant 3d Retreat
Posts: 168 |
Linux can be your BEST friend and it can be your worst nightmare. Linux is great for somethings. For running apache it is real good. Also, it is VERY stable. I had a linux box at work and I had it for 7 monthes and never had to restart it. Some bad things, if you don't know linux, don't use it. Everything is in a different place. It's also mostly command based so if you LOVE GUI then don't go with linux. Basically, use Windows 2000. That's a VERY stable operating system and pretty easy to use. If you want to learn linux, go for it. Just prepare to spend endless nights trying to learn how to do simple tasks like printing or networking or even the most daring...opening your floppy disk drive! Hope that helped ya. ------------------ | ||
|
viperx Sergeant ![]()
Posts: 65 |
LINUX sucks and is toi hard to use dont use it ... TAKE MY ADVICE!!! ------------------ | ||
|
coolant 3d Retreat
Posts: 168 |
well, you are a llama and shouldn't even be using a computer. ------------------ | ||
|
Shroomhd 3d Retreat
Posts: 159 |
When the phrase "1337" is in your sig aren't you just asking to be called a llama? ------------------ | ||
|
coolant 3d Retreat
Posts: 168 |
i don't see 1337 in ya sig - so, you are a llama. ------------------ | ||
|
Shroomhd 3d Retreat
Posts: 159 |
You don't captilize "I" so you are a m00f. ------------------ | ||
|
Scooby 3d Retreat
Posts: 72 |
Lota love in here. I can feel it!! ------------------ This message posted entirely with recycled electrons. | ||
|
coolant 3d Retreat
Posts: 168 |
scooby - i am thinking of some "comeback" to the anti-coolant message you made. Believe me, it'll hurt you sooo hard....well, it just will heheh------------------ | ||
|
SARGE Newbie
Posts: 4 |
My idea is run both. Linux comes with a boot loader called LILO which will let you load either OS. And the most awsome Linux package is (no it's not that POS RedHat), SuSE. I can't believe how easy it is to load compaired to the old Linux days where you nearly wen't psycho trying to load. It has a graphical install just like M$, can find your hardware for you, does all your disk partitioning, can install LILO for you, AND AND AND you don't even have to work on the command line for anything if you don't want to, it automatically sets up X-Windows for you, so you can just boot and get straight to the GUI skipping all the command line shell. I t also asks you for networking info if you have a network card/modem or both installed. You also get to choose from several types of X-Windows if you want at the login screen. I suggest KDE for the new Linux user. It has several GUI setup tools for printers, sound, themes, colors, fonts, just like windows. Like I said tho, you can run a dual boot system if you want and if you want to use M$ Windows & Linux no big deal! I suggest running both OS's, that way you can learn more about Linux as you go. When most games, commercial programs are ported or developed on Linux, I would like to say I will drop M$ like a rock, and finally my days of blue screens and rebooting cause I changed IP or resolution or video driver or anyfreaking little POS thing that modifies my registry DAMNIT! doh where was I, oh yeah, go Dual boot, learn Linux, when it commercializes a little more drop M$! ------------------ | ||
|
Scooby 3d Retreat
Posts: 72 |
Coolant, don't make me whoop out with that [kül 'ant] thing here on the public forums. ![]() ------------------ This message posted entirely with recycled electrons. |
All times are CST (US) | next newest topic | next oldest topic |
![]() |
|
3d Retreat © 2000
Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47