Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Discussion
  Mandrake Linux

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Mandrake Linux
Mike64
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-24-2001 10:21 AM


I just recently downloaded it, and I was wondering if it is worth to install.

I don't know A LOT about computers, but I'm always willing to learn and I've never messed around with Linux before, I have a spare computer in my house which I would install it to, so if I f'ed up anything or something, it wouldn't matter too much, I'd just do a quick format and everything would be fine

So, what do yall think? Should I play around with it? Someone shine some light on me, I'm a little lost when it comes to OS's past M$, hehe

------------------
Tony Hawk 2 Dreamcast Central: http://www.segadcc.com/thps2dc/


Click Here to See the Profile for Mike64   Click Here to Email Mike64    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 11656759UIN: 11656759   Send an AIM Message to MrMikeMc64    IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 650
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 02-24-2001 12:50 PM


Well, there is no better way to expand your horizons than to find a test box and go to town with a new OS :-) Don't let yourself get too frustrated at how different Linux is. You may want to grab a good book to help you in the process.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com
.plan file


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
chrispix
Sergeant

Posts: 70
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 02-24-2001 02:50 PM


I agree with snicker, and the install for mandrake has come a long way in the years that I have seen it.> i would say check it out.. and give it a spin..

------------------
/Chrispix
My homepage of pixemon, webcam and more


Click Here to See the Profile for chrispix   Click Here to Email chrispix    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24178629UIN: 24178629   Send an AIM Message to ctravis77   Send a message to chrispix99UIN: 24178629 IP Logged
The Columnist
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 02-24-2001 09:09 PM


I would like to hear why you consider Microsoft as "M$" and what your motovation was for downloading a gigabyte's worth of an operating system of which you have admitted you know little about (Also, did you have a broadband Internet connection when you downloaded it?).

I have recently found an interest in Linux and would like to know more about your experiences.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for The Columnist    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Mike64
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-25-2001 12:44 AM


I initially got Mandrake for a friend who doesn't have a burner, so that's why I downloaded it. Then I just got to thinking that I should mess around with it. In answer to your question, I do have broadband access, it sucks big balls, but I do have @home. And I had a friend upload mandrake to me, which I am still technically downloading, but it was at a decent speed

------------------
Tony Hawk 2 Dreamcast Central:
http://www.segadcc.com/thps2dc/


Click Here to See the Profile for Mike64   Click Here to Email Mike64    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 11656759UIN: 11656759   Send an AIM Message to MrMikeMc64    IP Logged
dlp.sharaz-jek
Private

Posts: 21
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-25-2001 12:42 PM


ill tell you what.. its an odd feeling to sit at my linux workstations both home and work and think to myself.. "wow 100% of what is on this harddrive is 100% legal and ok for me to have."

at my previous contract site, i had a sony laptop they gave me, that i put linux (only) on. it was p3-500, 128 megs of ram (which, granted, is nice for a laptop), and everyone knows that laptops are not known for their pci bus thruput. anyway, long story short, this little laptop after 60 days uptime, was still faster and more responsive than any computer i have or have ever owned. (and belive me, what im using now is EXRTORDINARILLY more robust hardware wise, and its a dog in performance, even in windows, compared to linux on that little laptop).

------------------
Got LAN??

http://www.dfwlanparty.com


Click Here to See the Profile for dlp.sharaz-jek   Click Here to Email dlp.sharaz-jek    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 8132754UIN: 8132754       IP Logged
The Columnist
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 02-25-2001 04:49 PM


And you'll be bringing that Sony laptop to the TANGO LAN party to play "Rogue Spear: Urban Operations" and "CounterStrike" on right? I mean, it *IS* much more responsive than the slow, plodding, expensive, illegal "M$" desktop everyone else will be bringing, right?

Is the responsiveness something quantifyable? You can download MP3s faster because of the "more robust networking code" of Linux? Your typing speed in StarOffice Writer is faster than in "M$ Wurd?"

The question, posed to "Mike64" was "Why learn Linux when his computer was working fine to begin with and why is it 'M$' but not, say '$u$E' Linux?" The answer to "why learn Linux" was "because a friend gave it to me and I had spare time."

Mike64, what about the whole "M$" thing? Are you concerned about Microsoft having too much money? Is there a monopoly with Microsoft Windows? Is it just that you've seen websites and posts call Microsoft "M$" and you're just going along with it?

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for The Columnist    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Mike64
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-25-2001 11:31 PM


M$ is faster to type than Microsoft.

I'm a man of many words.

------------------
Tony Hawk 2 Dreamcast Central:
http://www.segadcc.com/thps2dc/


Click Here to See the Profile for Mike64   Click Here to Email Mike64    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 11656759UIN: 11656759   Send an AIM Message to MrMikeMc64    IP Logged
dlp.sharaz-jek
Private

Posts: 21
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-25-2001 11:34 PM


so basically mike64 asks the public, "should i try something new?" (and granted, he didnt ask if he should switch immediately, and never go back.. he asked if he should try it on his second pc)

and while most poeple say "give it a go and see how it turns out for you" or "hey when you do try this or that" or "man, it sure is neat doing different things, and your prolly going to like it"

you prefer to say "hell no dont!!"

i just cant see how he could be encouraged by anything you say.

------------------
Got LAN??

http://www.dfwlanparty.com


Click Here to See the Profile for dlp.sharaz-jek   Click Here to Email dlp.sharaz-jek    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 8132754UIN: 8132754       IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 76
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-26-2001 09:03 AM


Scooby's opinion:

I primarily work in M$ as everyone that knows me is aware of. I own a legal copy of every OS M$ makes and most of their software. I use it at work exclusively as it is much easier to administer a Windows 2000 Domain when you are running Windows 2000.

I use it at the tango parties simply because I know it well and in the event of a downed server, I can bring the Win2K box back online faster (Admiditaly that is only because I know it better)

Personally, I am dabbling in Linux. I have tried a couple distros and I must admit that Mandrake is my favorite. I too have more than a decade of experienve with computers (nearly two actually) and pull much from my pre-windows days when working with Linux. I like that. It gives a new freshness to an old thing.

I am learning Linux simply because I never have. Unix and Unix-like operating systems make up the vast majority of high end business grade servers. It would make sense that myself being a computer professional ought to have a good working knowledge of them at the very least.

I cannot give you any personal evidence as dlp.sharez.jek can as he most obviously has used linux for a number of years. What I can tell you is that if you are truly a computer geek then to ignore Linux altogether is iresponsible.

------------------

Texas Area Network Gamers organization
http://www.tangolan.com

This message posted entirely with recycled electrons.


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
dlp.sharaz-jek
Private

Posts: 21
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-26-2001 10:14 AM


nope, ive only been using linux since about october, but im in a good position that im a fast learner, and i have many resources to pull from.

i totally agree with the "ignoring/irresponsible/true geek" remark. in the same spirit, even tho i prolly do more than my share of slamming, i do intend to buy a high end mac one of these days. no matter how much fun we make, and no matter how hard M$ tries, that shop has not closed its doors. that leaves one of a few conclusions:
1. people are just stupid (?)
2. apple users are (mostly) elite grahics hackers/gods that most of us do not know.
3. (or) some other part of the equation that we dont see that they are obviously doing VERY correctly.

there is also the encouragement that with solid unix experience, basic programming skill, moderatly solid scripting skill, there is no reason you cant walk in to [anywhere that runs unix, and of course based on company size] and get an entrylevel unix admin job for $50,000. (and that info i pulled from a guy in my office who used to just that, for significantly more $)

------------------
Got LAN??

http://www.dfwlanparty.com


Click Here to See the Profile for dlp.sharaz-jek   Click Here to Email dlp.sharaz-jek    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 8132754UIN: 8132754       IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 76
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-26-2001 11:13 AM


Since you brought it up, Mac is in fact a world of it's own. My in-laws own a mac. While it cannot game for crap, nor is it very good at networking, nor does it really excell at office applications, one thing it does well is mulitmedia. If you are looking at doing video, they are hard to match let alone beat. Their little 500Mhz G3 laptop will out perform a 1.2Ghz Athlon when it comes to rendering video.

The real question there is why do you own a computer. My in-laws primarilly do video editing. For them, the Mac was the best choice. For others (Like me) I quicky get frustrated at it's inability to perform as I expect when gaming and networking.

Mac networking, quite plainly is a nightmare.

------------------

Texas Area Network Gamers organization
http://www.tangolan.com

This message posted entirely with recycled electrons.


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
The Columnist
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 02-26-2001 08:47 PM


I think the attack leveled at me by the Linux partisan shows the hypocrisy in the Linux community.

NEVER have I told "Mike64" to "not try" or "don't do" something. I asked for his thoughts on why he would go so far out of his way to learn a new operating system that is, as the Linux user said, is geared for the "computer geek" (as when he agreed with Scooby's post).

The attacks come in from the Linux partisan: "You're too dumb to understand how good Linux is." "You don't understand how good Linux is so you hate it." "You're discouraging people from doing what they know is right." "You're a mean-spirited, close-minded cad who cannot be progressive in his thinking and therefore will never truly understand the majesty of Linux."

Nice deflection. Change the debate from a list of empirical evidence to an attack on question, appealing to the emotional side of the argument so as to get "the people" behind you.

The hypocrisy in that is that tech and news websites worldwide refer to the "Linux community" where the gentle, educated hacker works together with all peoples of the world in harmony. Point out that the Linux utopian ideal has some gaps in logic and you'll hear the gentle hacker spew stuff that would make Charles Manson say: "Damn, dude. Take it easy!"

Give me a break! I don't want any more of this smokescreen and the American people don't want it either! Will someone please answer the question: Where's the benefit to having Linux as it is right now for the average consumer and how is getting the average consumer to go to all this open source/free software going to spur a sagging tech economy?

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for The Columnist    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
dlp.sharaz-jek
Private

Posts: 21
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-27-2001 12:06 AM


well your attitude and demeanor seem to say "why in the world would you even WANT to do that?", even if those were not your exact words.

no one ever said linux was for the average consumer.

we also have not specified or determined that the he is an average consumer, nor have we limited mike64 from becomming or declaring that he will be, a geek that would be a probable suspect for wanting to learn something like linux for his own benefit.

let him! let him try it! geez dont be discouraging!

------------------
Got LAN??

http://www.dfwlanparty.com


Click Here to See the Profile for dlp.sharaz-jek   Click Here to Email dlp.sharaz-jek    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 8132754UIN: 8132754       IP Logged
Maestro
Private

Posts: 10
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 02-27-2001 01:54 AM


Originally posted by Scooby:
Scooby's opinion:

I primarily work in M$ as everyone that knows me is aware of. I own a legal copy of every OS M$ makes and most of their software. I use it at work exclusively as it is much easier to administer a Windows 2000 Domain when you are running Windows 2000.

I use it at the tango parties simply because I know it well and in the event of a downed server, I can bring the Win2K box back online faster (Admiditaly that is only because I know it better)

Personally, I am dabbling in Linux. I have tried a couple distros and I must admit that Mandrake is my favorite. I too have more than a decade of experienve with computers (nearly two actually) and pull much from my pre-windows days when working with Linux. I like that. It gives a new freshness to an old thing.

I am learning Linux simply because I never have. Unix and Unix-like operating systems make up the vast majority of high end business grade servers. It would make sense that myself being a computer professional ought to have a good working knowledge of them at the very least.

I cannot give you any personal evidence as dlp.sharez.jek can as he most obviously has used linux for a number of years. What I can tell you is that if you are truly a computer geek then to ignore Linux altogether is iresponsible.

I'm Iresponsible! nooooooooooooooooo! Actually, I share my comp with my family and cannot hose it or 3 other people get very very mad at me. Fiddling with OS's imho is the quickest way to hose a comp. =) That or the bubble gum machine mix up incident with the floppy drive...

------------------
-Maestro
"...and where the hell are my pants?"


Click Here to See the Profile for Maestro    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 76
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-27-2001 08:59 AM


Originally posted by The Columnist:
Give me a break! I don't want any more of this smokescreen and the American people don't want it either! Will someone please answer the question: Where's the benefit to having Linux as it is right now for the average consumer and how is getting the average consumer to go to all this open source/free software going to spur a sagging tech economy?

In most cases, I lend an ear to your posts because you have shown to be a logical, methodical person who thinks about what they say and the consequences. Over the past few days, you seem to be showing more opinionated objection than logical fact.

You are corect in stating that no one has ever given you hardcore evidence as to why you should fromat your harddrive, go to Linux and never look back. This is because there is no such reason just as there is no reason that dlp.sharaz-jek or any of the ohters should format their harddrives, go to Microsoft and never look back.

As you like similes, compare a user's choice of OSes to their choice of, I don't know, deoderant. Why is there not one brand of deoderant for everyone? The answer is simple in the fact that there as many opinions, needs and chioces as there are people.

What I don't understand is why you have dificulties with people that do not share your opinions. You expect them to defend their opinions with hardcore facts. The reasons (facts) I use Linux is completely irrelevant to why you (should/should not) use Linux.

The question "Why use Linux" is a very valid question. The response "Your reason does not fit my needs" is a valid response. To vigilante against Linux because you personally have no use for it is an invalid venture. Your vigilante against Linux (that is how it is being recieved) is why you feel that an attack has been leveled by the Linux community. You can't kick around in a snake pit and not expect to be bit a few times.

To blatently answer your question, there is no benefit for the average consumer to go to Linux right now. Where ever did you decide that there was? If there was, there would be a Linux version of AOL!!

------------------

Texas Area Network Gamers organization
http://www.tangolan.com

This message posted entirely with recycled electrons.


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged
Mike64
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-27-2001 03:04 PM


Wow, I've become pretty popular on these boards now, haha

------------------
Tony Hawk 2 Dreamcast Central:
http://www.segadcc.com/thps2dc/


Click Here to See the Profile for Mike64   Click Here to Email Mike64    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 11656759UIN: 11656759   Send an AIM Message to MrMikeMc64    IP Logged
dlp.sharaz-jek
Private

Posts: 21
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 02-27-2001 04:26 PM


hey mike! were just fightin for your right to choose what you want to do with your second pc! hehe or even your first or both!

------------------
Got LAN??

http://www.dfwlanparty.com


Click Here to See the Profile for dlp.sharaz-jek   Click Here to Email dlp.sharaz-jek    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 8132754UIN: 8132754       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47