Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Tech/Hardware
  How much is safe?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How much is safe?
Wingy
3d Retreat

Posts: 21
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 02:02 PM


I have a rather small hard drive, and I was wondering how much space is safe to use. It's a 6 gig.

Thanks,
Wingy

------------------
--Wingy:-þ


Click Here to See the Profile for Wingy   Click Here to Email Wingy    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 59328593UIN: 59328593       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 894
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 02:05 PM


I am not sure I understand your question. Are you referring to how much free space you need on your hd for efficient performance? If so, I would also try to have at least 250megs free on your HD to make sure there is adequate space for your swap file.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Wingy
3d Retreat

Posts: 21
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 02:07 PM


That's exactly what I meant snick. Thanks. Btw, these forums are awesome! I was almost watching you reply with the who's online feature! Thanks for being so quick.

------------------
--Wingy:-þ


Click Here to See the Profile for Wingy   Click Here to Email Wingy    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 59328593UIN: 59328593       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 894
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 02:20 PM


I know, I love that feature, hehe

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
GoDSpeeD
Private

Posts: 46
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-24-2000 07:14 PM


Another good thing to have is lots of ram- I recently put in another 64 mb sdram and it is great. Rarely crashes - ( I was also using win200) but in win 95- things were fast- so if you have extra money- great ram!

------------------
Calvin Lam - GoDSpeeD


Click Here to See the Profile for GoDSpeeD   Click Here to Email GoDSpeeD    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 48343843UIN: 48343843   Send an AIM Message to calam63    IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 95
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-09-2000 01:30 PM


Ever since the days of CPM (What Microsoft stole and called MS Dos back in 1981) and mainframes, there has always been the 80/20 rule. For your boot, Operating system, and Paging partitions (Which now days are all on the same partition)

This rule states that for optimal performance, you should never use more than 80% of the partition, leaving at least 20% free.

This does not mean that you can not go further. I have seen servers with 10Mb free space on a 4Gb drive.

If you have a seperate partition or drive for your data, that partition may be filled to 99% capacity and still have only minimal impact on performance.

Even on my workstations, I have found that if I put all my data on a seperate partition and only the OS and program files on the C:\ drive, I have never needed more than a 4Gb partition.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47