|
3d Retreat Forums
![]() Tech/Hardware
![]() What is MS thinking??
|
| next newest topic | next oldest topic |
| Author | Topic: What is MS thinking?? | ||
|
GoatBeard Moderator
Posts: 54 |
So ok, they can build a relational database but this is the best example they can come up with?? Who would use SQL server for this?? Post your thoughts! Let's talk! I could be way off base (but I'm not). "FOLLOWING THROUGH ON a commitment he made four years ago to offer a database that would span from handhelds to the high end, Paul Flessner, Microsoft's vice president of .NET Enterprise Servers, unveiled SQL Server 2000 Windows CE Edition. "one potential use being someone planning a trip on a PC and then downloading this information to a handheld to bring with them on the actual trip."" | ||
|
snicker 3d Retreat ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 323 |
Contrary to popular belief, handhelds are becoming the ever handy business tool. Yes, I am biased as a Pocket PC (Win CE 3.0) user but my usage shows me how handy these things are. At my former job we were researching companys using PDA's with an attached barcode reader for doing inventory control out in the warehouse, etc. Especially with the upcoming wireless features, remote interaction with your corporate SQL server will be VERY valuable. No, your average joe doesn't need SQL on a WinCE but then again he doesn't on his gaming machine either. It's benefit shows up in the business world. ------------------ | ||
|
GoatBeard Moderator
Posts: 54 |
Agree with you. We had CE devices in the office 4 years ago before they were released to market (product compatibility testing). I like them. I agree with you, SQL Server isn't for the average joe. My issues with the article was that other than one passing example of using the DB in a wearhouse setting they brought up that wierd-ass idea of the trip. I'm just wondering if that VP has all his marbles. Probably lost them counting his huge salary. ![]() ------------------ | ||
|
snicker 3d Retreat ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 323 |
Good point. Their example was NOT a typical use for SQL server. Heck, I would venture to guess that noone would use a portable SQL server in that manner, hehe. ------------------ |
All times are CST (US) | next newest topic | next oldest topic |
![]() |
|
3d Retreat © 2000
Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47