Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Tech/Hardware
  Thoughts?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Thoughts?
Fitz
3d Retreat

Posts: 43
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-27-2000 04:15 PM


With a decent amount of money in my hand I have decided to buy more ram for my pc (already picked out), and another HD, so I can stop having my family members fill the drive up with junk.

Any suggestions on what type of HD to get (brand) at say around 18gb (i wanted to get a higher rpm hd, but to expensive, i got about 300 to spend on the hd alone)?

------------------
-Fitz (AKA: The Other White Meat)

News Editor/Interviewer
RS Retreat


Click Here to See the Profile for Fitz   Click Here to Email Fitz    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 30531045UIN: 30531045   Send an AIM Message to Pie4Fitz   Send a message to JoeFitz_UIN: 30531045 IP Logged
Pappy
3d Retreat

Posts: 20
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-27-2000 10:32 PM


yoyo, I just spent $300 on a Maxtor 60GB UDMA\100. It's allot faster then my old DMA\33 drive. I purchased it at staples.

------------------
Just plain Stank Cheeze!


Click Here to See the Profile for Pappy   Click Here to Email Pappy    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 55852329UIN: 55852329   Send an AIM Message to PappstersZ    IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 323
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-28-2000 11:17 AM


I think chrispix just bought a rocking 30gb HD at outpost.com for only $150.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Absolut_OSU
3d Retreat

Posts: 35
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-28-2000 11:34 AM


I like Maxtor. I have two in my computer right now. Very reliable. Good price too.

------------------
Oregon State University
Home of the 6 - 1 Beavers


Click Here to See the Profile for Absolut_OSU   Click Here to Email Absolut_OSU    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to AbsoluteOSU    IP Logged
Fitz
3d Retreat

Posts: 43
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-28-2000 04:33 PM


I might buy a maxtor than...maybe only a 15gb, so I can buy a trinitron tv...

------------------
-Fitz (AKA: The Other White Meat)

News Editor/Interviewer
RS Retreat


Click Here to See the Profile for Fitz   Click Here to Email Fitz    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 30531045UIN: 30531045   Send an AIM Message to Pie4Fitz   Send a message to JoeFitz_UIN: 30531045 IP Logged
sniper
3d Retreat

Posts: 79
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-28-2000 05:47 PM


I'm going to get a Western Digital 40 GB @ 7200 RPM. It is a sweet HD for only $199.99 ($200) I thought it was a good deal cause it was a 7200 rpm and thoses tend to be a bit more spendy.

You can see what I'm gettign @ http://www.wdc.com/products/drives/wd400bbrtl.html

*Update: Just came back from Office Depot and I saw a Maxtor 40gb HD @ 7200RPM for $180.00 that might be a better deal! It would save me a few bucks... :0)


------------------
-=Sniper=-
News Editor/HTML Programmer http://www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for sniper   Click Here to Email sniper    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24721190UIN: 24721190   Send an AIM Message to BimmerLovR    IP Logged
Green
Private

Posts: 16
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-31-2000 04:12 AM


Matrox @7200 is perfect for gaming. I'm surprised it has dropped below a Western Digital in price, but am glad to hear it. Of course, if money is no matter, just buy a 10,000rpm drive and get that nano-second advantage.

Question though. Admitedly, the storage space on your puter depends on what you do with it. But the next system I get, I'm going to buy 2 HDs (15GB each?) so I can do reformats and get a clean sweep. Any comments?

------------------
Don't worry about the pissants when the elephants are running your a$$ over.


Click Here to See the Profile for Green    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 96698661UIN: 96698661       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 323
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-31-2000 01:43 AM


You can still do clean formats no problem on one HD. It is all in how you partition your HD. I have one 27gig HD. I have it partitioned into 3 drive letters. One drive is my OS, the other is for games, and the other is my backup partition. If I ever need to reinstall my OS or upgrade, I can format that drive letter and not effect the data on my other partitions. Of course if the HD goes bad I am out of luck but that is the best option next to SCSI

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Dungheap
3d Retreat

Posts: 15
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-31-2000 12:34 PM


Originally posted by snicker:
Of course if the HD goes bad I am out of luck but that is the best option next to SCSI

Do you mean next to RAID perhaps? I don't see how having one SCSI drive would be any better for data backup etc, than one IDE drive other than from a speed perspective. Running either 2 IDE or 2 SCSI drives in Raid 1 would allow for data redunancy in the event one drive goes bad.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Dungheap   Click Here to Email Dungheap    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47