|
3d Retreat Forums
![]() Tech/Hardware
![]() Question about buying....
|
| next newest topic | next oldest topic |
| Author | Topic: Question about buying.... | |||
|
Wingy 3d Retreat
Posts: 21 |
I really would like to buy a new computer. The only thing is, I might buy a 1.1 gighz today, and 2 gighz will be out tommorow. Everything gets outdated fast. Will this slow down at all?? And if it won't, I need buying tips. Thanks. ------------------ There's only one thing that can make the internet better, and that's more of those banners that let you punch the monkey. | |||
|
Scooby 3d Retreat
Posts: 95 |
Well, the day it slows down, the information age had begun its exidous. In my persronal experience, I have learned not to but bleading edge technology because in a couple weeks, I can buy it for half price. However, do not wait 'till next week because there is always going to be something new to pick up. At some point, you have to make the plunge. I prefer to purchase only unbranded PC's or build my own. This way, you run the most likely chance that tomorow's technology will plug into your existing system. There is alot to be said for name brand. Warranty is probably the biggest. The problem is, if you purchase something like Compaq's Presario line, you are, for the most part, stuck with what you bought. In the example of the Presario, you will most likely have problems even upgrading your OS. Hate to sound dismal, but I am very much against pre-fabricated computers. If you want the best today, and tomorow as well, build your own. ------------------ | |||
|
Wingy 3d Retreat
Posts: 21 |
Would you recommend that if I told you I'm no good at diagnosing, or fixing, internal problems that may occur? ------------------ There's only one thing that can make the internet better, and that's more of those banners that let you punch the monkey. | |||
|
Scooby 3d Retreat
Posts: 95 |
Hmmm... To me, building a PC is a very personal thing. You decide what you want to do with it, What is is going to take to perform those tasks and build it. If you are unsure about your abilities to purchase good parts, properly assemble them, and troubleshoot any possible dificulties, thanm mabey a name brand would be best for you. I am at a loss as to who to suggest. I think the bigest thing to me is your upgrade path. My personal preference is to have as little integrated on the motherboard as possible and plenty of open PCI slots. I buy mostly Dell here at work, but here, once we buy a PC it remains unchanged until it retires and we replace it with a new one. If that is what you expect you will most likely do, the only question is, what specs do you want in your computer, and how much are you hoping to pay for them. ------------------ | |||
|
Wingy 3d Retreat
Posts: 21 |
Exactly how difficult is to build a computer? ------------------ There's only one thing that can make the internet better, and that's more of those banners that let you punch the monkey. | |||
|
sniper Moderator
Posts: 473 |
I jsut made mine mine! IT ROCKS! and you learn a lot!!! a few question.. 1.) Do you have a Phillups screwdriver? If you have answer "NO" to ANY of theses question I would advise you go back to kindergarden. If you answered "YES" to ALL of theses questions then pat yourself on the back and get ready to build a computer. If your a complete idiot and answered "YES" and "NO" to the above question... then kick your butt... Ok really it is easy!! The hardest part is setting up the BIOS and confising everything and dling all the RIGHT drivers and making sure your puter reconized all you drives.. any question give me a buzz... ------------------ | |||
|
Wingy 3d Retreat
Posts: 21 |
I figured I could do that other stuff... But this is where I think the poo hits the fan... ------------------ There's only one thing that can make the internet better, and that's more of those banners that let you punch the monkey. | |||
|
Drunk Moderator
Posts: 348 |
Even if you get a 1.1 ghz, there is very little software (that i know off) that will fully push it to the limits, i have been on my 333 for nearly 4 years and it still runs 98% of the new games with little or no problems, so if you brought a 1.1 you would get at least 4-5 years use out of it. IMHO. ![]() ------------------ | |||
|
Scooby 3d Retreat
Posts: 95 |
I'll support that statment. I still can't complain too much about my P2-233 laptop, and my desktop is still only a P2-400. ------------------ | |||
|
Nightdemon Newbie
Posts: 3 |
hey all I agree with most people here..Buying a brand PC is a pain in the @$$. I prefer building my own. The first time I bought a pc I was very dissapointed with it. It came with cheap brand parts and I coudnt upgrade it..Best thing to do is to build your own PC.. You get your moneys worth.. ------------------ | |||
|
sniper Moderator
Posts: 473 |
Nightdemon ; that is what were are telling him to do, build your own.. hehe... it is teh way to go.. I just did it and mine is runnin 99.9% stable..... ------------------ | |||
|
Drunk Moderator
Posts: 348 |
Does anyone know of a any good tutorials on building your own pc? ------------------ | |||
|
Wingy 3d Retreat
Posts: 21 |
Cnet has to have something... ------------------ There's only one thing that can make the internet better, and that's more of those banners that let you punch the monkey. | |||
|
GoDSpeeD Private ![]()
Posts: 46 |
as it has been said before buying a 1.1 ghz computer may not be the best purchase- but if you got 2 grand to use- why not- but anything after 800mhz has about the same capability with application and games. ------------------ | |||
|
Mr.Beef Private ![]()
Posts: 8 |
There is a great building PC tutorial over at FiringSquad- click here. ------------------ |
All times are CST (US) | next newest topic | next oldest topic |
![]() |
|
3d Retreat © 2000
Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47