Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Tech/Hardware
  IP address and Hosting problems

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   IP address and Hosting problems
SantchMan
Newbie

Posts: 3
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-27-2000 02:23 PM


OK here is my problem / Question...

I have 2 computers both running Windows ME. In my main computer I have 2 lan cards, 1 for my cable Modem, one to connect to my other computer. I have a hub connecting the 2 computers. I used Windows network connection wizzard to connect the 2 and I am able to share files and access the internet with both computers, so far so good. Now my problem, I am unable to have other connect to my computer with my IP address (Roger Wilco, Dame Voice, Game Hosting, etc.). I have tried having people use my External IP address (and even my internal!) and no luck. I am able to play games etc. between the two computers and I am able to log onto games and such with either computer.
Any suggestions. All advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SantchMan


Click Here to See the Profile for SantchMan   Click Here to Email SantchMan    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 45452514UIN: 45452514       IP Logged
Scooby
3d Retreat

Posts: 95
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-27-2000 02:46 PM


I am not fimaliar with WindowsvME in particular however, I do know that it uses basically the same Internet Connection Sharing as Windows 9x and Windows 2K. They all work on a NAT (Network Address Translation) technology. You are corect in assuming that they will need to connect to your public IP address and not your private IP address. To enable at least some level of security, Microsoft has deployed what can be loosly refered as a firewall. To my knowlege, under Windows 98, this was not configurable. Any services that you wanted to be seen on the Internet had to be hosted on the computer that is directly connected to the Internet. Under Windows 2000, there are settings that will allow port mapping and forwarding. This would allow a service that is run on another computer to appear to be running on your interntet PC and thus, visible to the internet. I am unaware as to whether Windows ME has such options.

For more information about NAT; What it is and how it works, see the official definition by viewing RFC 1631 or searching for NAT somewhere like www.whatis.com

Click Here to download RFC1631.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Scooby   Click Here to Email Scooby    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 506158UIN: 506158       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47