Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Tech/Hardware
  IDE questions

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   IDE questions
Mr.Beef
Private

Posts: 8
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 07-11-2001 12:39 PM


I just put a CD-RW in my comp which has a DVD, Zip100, and 1 hard drive. Because the secondary IDE cable in the computer had 3 connectors, I had to get rid of the zip and connected the RW in its place. I called a local computer store to ask if they had any IDE cables w/ 4 connectors(to get the zip back) but he said the max you can get on one IDE cable is 2 drives but I found some 4 and 5 connector cables here. He suggested that I connect the Zip to the primary IDE w/ the hard drive but I might want to add a 2nd HD later. Should I buy one of those 4 connector, 3 device cables or do what the guy said?

------------------
As flamboyant AMD CEO Jerry Sanders once said: "Real men own fabs."


Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Beef    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Dungheap
3d Retreat

Posts: 38
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 07-17-2001 04:09 PM


Put the Zip on the primary IDE as the second (slave) device and put the CD-RW on the secondary ide channel with the DVD drive.

If at a later date you decide to add a HDD to the computer you can buy an add on IDE card which will allow you to either put the HDD on it, or put one or more of the other devices on it.

------------------
3d Retreat Staff


Click Here to See the Profile for Dungheap   Click Here to Email Dungheap    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47