Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Electric Weaponry
  M4A1 Battery Questions

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   M4A1 Battery Questions
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 657
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 02-25-2001 02:18 AM


In my quest to purchase an M4A1, I have of course run across a couple of unanswered questions. If someone can help me answer these, that would be great ;-)

I know I want the Tokyo Marui M4A1 with the EG1000 motor. Out of the package, this gun uses the mini battery and runs around $240 without battery/charger at most online stores. While looking at batteries to purchase to go along with the gun, it looks liek a regular "mini" battery is 8.4V / Ni-cd 600mAh that only costs around $25.

While looking at other batteries for sale, I noticed more expensive batteries that claim to work with the M4A1 that are "special" 9.6V / Ni-cd 2000mAh batteries. These ones cost around $53. My question is, can I used this better 9.6v battery with a regular Tokyo Marui M4A1 AEG?

I found it interesting that while looking on Den Trinity's site they have their list of "special" guns for sale that contain their custome modifications: http://www.dentrinity.com/shop/AEG.htm#den

They have the M4A1 on there with the the standard battery already included and they claim it shoots at 400fps and costs $379 including the battery. They have the regular M4 on there with the mini battery listed as only 282fps. Does changing this battery make that much difference? If so, the bigger battery isn't that much more expensive and seems like the best bang for your buck. Will it wear my gun out faster using this standard battery and will I have to make any modifications to use it?

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com
.plan file


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
X17
Moderator

Posts: 169
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 02-25-2001 11:25 AM


Snicker,

The 9.6v battery is simply an extra cell connected to the battery. What you will get using a more powerful battery is longer playing time without having to recharge your battery; you will receive higher rof, rate of fire. It may, I might be wrong, increase fps. The thing to remember about DEN is they are a company trying to make money. While their m4 claims to get that high fps it may not, who knows? Without actually buying it we cannot be sure. I can guarantee if it is achieving that fps it is not do to the battery alone. It will have had a lot of internal modifications. It is very dangerous to use the 9.6v battery in a stock AEG, it will ware out your gears a lot faster and may cause other internal problems. To tell you the truth there is nothing wrong with the 8.4v batteries. And until you decided to upgrade your m4 I would stick to that 8.4v battery. Lets hope we can get some more information on this subject by fellow posters.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for X17   Click Here to Email X17    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 66249881UIN: 66249881       IP Logged
Toto
3d Retreat

Posts: 12
Registered: Feb 2001

posted 02-28-2001 12:05 AM


Snicker,
I use to own a M4, and I can only tell you about the performance of the "mini" battery.
Although never "officially" clocked for fps, we guess-timated it around 250-275. Some reviews of the gun claim around 300fps, and after firing it during an all day skirmish, I bet it could do it.
The mini battery use to last me around 4-5 hours, petering off towards the 4 hour mark. If you run with the mini battery, I suggest buying a second, back-up battery. I used a quick charger that seemed to do the job as well.

I do believe that the 9.6v requires a little modification in the form of a bigger fore grip. I found this picture at DEN of the "special" equipment.

They have it listed for $87 USD.

Whether you go mini or full battery, you're getting a fantastic AEG. That is my next purchase.

------------------
Toto
"mutts need love too."


Click Here to See the Profile for Toto   Click Here to Email Toto    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 657
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 02-28-2001 12:50 AM


Thanks for all the comments guys. I was able to pick up a lot of info.I have purchased an M4A1 off a guy already customized to support the larger battery. Hopefully it will be in this weekend. I can't wait to try it out!

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com
.plan file


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
RealityKnight
Newbie

Posts: 4
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 02-28-2001 09:33 PM


There's actually another kind of 9.6 battery that's designed to hit into the M4, as well as anything else that can take a small battery.

It's a 9.6 1000mah that's made of 8 "aa" cells that are glued toghther in a "U" shape.

Take the top fuse plate out of the M4, and the battery fits it in nicely...

I'd take a pic of it, but it's currently with the remenants of my M4's that getting worked on 50 miles south...

K

------------------
~ Reality Knight
Virginia Rangers
www.virginiarangers.com

"You can't run fast enough."


Click Here to See the Profile for RealityKnight   Click Here to Email RealityKnight    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2371296UIN: 2371296   Send an AIM Message to Steyr X    IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47