Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Rogue Spear Retreat News
  Counter-Strike creator played R6

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Counter-Strike creator played R6
CR6
3d Retreat

Posts: 80
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 05-31-2001 12:59 AM


The story of how Counter-Strike went from fan-based mod to top-selling multiplayer game is inspiring. The man behind it, Minh Le, gets my respect for having a vision and following through with hard work to make it real. Gamasutra has posted one of the longest interviews I've ever seen with the "Gooseman" which has one question I've been itching to see asked:

Q. When you were designing Counter-Strike, were you trying to improve on something that was already out there - Rainbow Six for example?

A. Not so much. I was really just a fan of the whole theme. I'm a really big fan of guns and the whole military theme, right? So, when I stumbled upon the terrorism theme, I thought that this would be really, really good to put in a game. I think at the time there was Rainbow Six and, what else was there? Spec Ops I guess. I did play them, and they were enjoyable, but I thought they needed something more - for me at least. For example, I wanted to see my gun. I just wanted to give it a more immersive feeling, and a bit faster paced as well. I thought the pace of Rainbow Six was a bit too painful for me. I just wanted to speed it up a bit.

Read the whole interview here.


Click Here to See the Profile for CR6   Click Here to Email CR6    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to n/a   Send a message to n/aUIN: IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47