Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Rogue Spear Retreat News
  Building a PC

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Building a PC
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 896
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 07-14-2001 07:33 PM


Anyone feel like sending me some hardware advice on building a new PC? :-) I am going to start pricing things for a new gaming rig and want a 1 gig+ machine. I prefer Intel but I will prolly end up with an Athlon to save money. I have 5 Dell PC's in my room so I am completely out of the loop on what the best motherboard/memory/etc is for the money and compatibility. My P3-600 is treating me fine but my wife wants a faster computer than her 200mhz so I figured I would give her this one and get me a nice new rig.
Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
MurphDog
Private

Posts: 11
Registered: Apr 2001

posted 07-14-2001 09:43 PM


I have learned to trust the instincts of Toms Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com)Not only do they have pricing available, but what I like best is their HOW-TO section on how to build your pc. That's how I decided to get my Asus MB and Thunderbird 900 cpu

------------------
MurphDog
http://www.mercenariesguild.com/


Click Here to See the Profile for MurphDog   Click Here to Email MurphDog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to MurphDog2000    IP Logged
Infrared_Sight
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 07-14-2001 09:56 PM


Snicker listen to me I build PCs for the Top selling PC manufactuer in Utah, Totally Awesome Computers.

If you like intel go with:

P3 1ghz
Asus CUV4X-C or CUV4X motherboard 133mhz FSB
192MB SDRAM PC-133
64MB DDR GeForce 2 Ultra
etc...

Always go with ASUS motherboards, they have the lowest failure rates and best reviews!

------------------
I n f r a r e d _ S i g h t

Do you know what a dog needs? A bitch!

Infrared's Tactics -Webmatser


Click Here to See the Profile for Infrared_Sight    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
CR6
Moderator

Posts: 134
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 07-15-2001 02:23 AM


There is no doubt that Athlons give the best price/performance ratio these days. A top-of-the line Athlon compares well to the best P4 system.

I like P3's, but they are now limited by their 133MHz bus speed bottleneck.

If you want a fast system for a decent price, here are my recommendations for an Athlon system:

350W Power Supply (those Athlons and GF3's suck up a lot of power)

Athlon T-bird 1.33-1.4GHz 266 MHz DDR version

Athlon Motherboard: ASUS A7M266

512MB DDR PC2100 DIMMs (might as well with cheap prices)

HD: 60GB IBM 60GXP (better than the 75GXP line)

GF3 card

SB Live Value is still good enough for now. It will be a good place holder until the new-gen SB Audigy comes out later this year ...

CDRW: Plextor 16/10/40A PlexWriter - Plextor hasn't failed me yet!

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for CR6   Click Here to Email CR6    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to n/a   Send a message to n/aUIN: IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 896
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 07-15-2001 03:46 AM


Well, here is what I am looking at getting right now. I can piece together some components like the cd-rom and sound card.

I need a case though, not sure of what some good cases are but I don't want to spend much. Any suggestions?

350W Power Supply: $12
Athlon T-bird 1.4GHz 266 MHz: $163
Athlon ASUS A7M266 Motherboard: $160
512MB DDR PC2100 DIMMs: $90
60GB IBM 60GXP HD: $160
GeForce 3: $299

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com
.plan file


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
VAXC3
Moderator

Posts: 68
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 07-15-2001 04:28 AM


Regardless how cheap and fast the AMD is, you still gotta take in the effect of stability.

As far as I know through experience and observations from fellow friends' new AMD system, stability is a major issue.

1. Over heat, AMD processors are extremely hot and uses almost 2x the power as Intel does.
2. Compability issues. There are still quite a few hardwares out there that is yet to be compatible with AMD.
3. Speed fluctuation. As I test the AMD speed fluctuation vs the Intel speed fluctuation. AMD tends to fluctuate more than Intel. This isn't really a big problem, till you start to use an intensive amount of ram.

So based on my observations and research, here is my recommendation list:

For an AMD system:
AMD t-Bird 1.33mhz 266fsb - $129 (70mhz is nothing, so lets save $30)
Abit KG7Raid - $190 (evens the 70mhz out for a faster mainboard)
512MB PC2100 (2 x 256mb) - $84 (its less than $90, so why not)
Maxtor 7200rpm 60gb UDMA100 - $170 (maxtor is the only HDs that reads 256 in one sector scan, others do 128)
Power supply & Case 350w or higher - $40 for 400w ATX
Extra case fans - $10 each x 2 = $20
A Good CPU Fan - $30 maybe...
GeForce 3 - $300 (humm... i dont see a need for it, YET. I'd wait for the 128MB version though.)
Total - $964

For the Intel, I recommend:
Intel Pentium 4 1.3Ghz - $155
256MB PC800 RDRAM - $115
Abit TH7Raid - $160
Maxtor 7200rpm 60gb UDMA100 - $170
Power Supply & Case 350w - $40
Case Fan - $20
CPU fan - $20
GeForce 3 - $300
total - $980


the ram... after 256mb, performance dont really increase, UNLESS you tweak your system intensivly... other wise, it MAY actually slow down. YES! I'm not kidding.

As for the reason choosing Abit over Asus... I find the Abit boards to be more userfriendly through my experience with both brands... Asus is good, but not exactly as stable as Abit...


------------------
:: Alvin 'vaxc3' Hu
:: Infinity Retreat
:: Webmaster, admin@infinityretreat.com
:: http://www.infinityretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for VAXC3   Click Here to Email VAXC3    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 1520670UIN: 1520670   Send an AIM Message to VAXC3    IP Logged
MurphDog
Private

Posts: 11
Registered: Apr 2001

posted 07-15-2001 04:31 AM


I would suggest a 400w power supply. You can't go wrong with too much power, and in my case, Blue Screen of Death is practically inexistant (low power is a common blue screen creator). Especially if you add more components.

Also, I would definately suggest going with a Thunderbird over a P3.

------------------
MurphDog
http://www.mercenariesguild.com/


Click Here to See the Profile for MurphDog   Click Here to Email MurphDog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to MurphDog2000    IP Logged
Stash_NCS
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Jul 2001

posted 07-15-2001 08:36 PM


I just built one 3 weeks ago after extensive research---take a look at www.anandtech.com

1.4Ghz 266Fsb Athlon

MSI K7 Master---the recomended DDR board at the time (3 weeks ago) http://www.msicomputer.com/PRODUCT/DETAIL_SPEC/K7_MASTER266.HTM

Mobo Comparison http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=1496&p=4

512 PC2100 DDR RAM
Antec 1030 Case-----a nice case if you want to put out 100 bucks http://www.directron.com/sx1030.html

ThermoEngine V60-4210--heatsink---well worth the money---about 30 bucks---quiet as hell http://secure.webstrikesolutions.com/chillb
last/docs/pd-1700392297.htm


I am sorry I don't know html---but I can build my own computer---who knew aim me if you have any questions or want my to benchmark it or anything

The final cost was bout 700----I already had video card, hd, monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, and network card
------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Stash_NCS   Click Here to Email Stash_NCS    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to ncsustash    IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 896
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 07-15-2001 10:14 PM


Thanks for the feedback everyone! Your insight is extremely valuable!

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com
.plan file


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Infrared_Sight
Private

Posts: 19
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 07-16-2001 03:04 AM


Yes that one guys is right:

AMDs overheat actually 5x easier then Intel.
All hardware and software is written and configured to read Intel Processors and if you have AMD and the registry reads an AMD it has to re-write the configuration to AMDs standards which isn't good.

Vacx3 is a smart man, but Raid boards are ok,

Asus have the lowest failure rate and are #1 boards.

Snicker go with Intel P4 personally. But I like AMD better then Intel, even though my PC is an Intel, lol.

------------------
I n f r a r e d _ S i g h t

Do you know what a dog needs? A bitch!

Infrared's Tactics -Webmatser


Click Here to See the Profile for Infrared_Sight    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
VAXC3
Moderator

Posts: 68
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 07-16-2001 10:11 AM


Hehe, It is always good to have Raid sitting around

I back up my system w/ Norton Ghost and now, I run my primary HD with Stripping Raid 0. Damn that thing is fast!

------------------
:: Alvin 'vaxc3' Hu
:: Infinity Retreat
:: Webmaster, admin@infinityretreat.com
:: http://www.infinityretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for VAXC3   Click Here to Email VAXC3    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 1520670UIN: 1520670   Send an AIM Message to VAXC3    IP Logged
sniper
Moderator

Posts: 473
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 07-16-2001 12:59 PM


Ok, now that I have net access My opnion is truly valuble. I'm so dang [H]ard you wont belive..

Anyways.... *chants*AMD AMD AMD*chants*

I would go with AMD, lot cheaper, realible, etc. That intel crap is waaay over priced, and not that good IMO.

Snick, just get me on irc, or email... You know I'm the guru

Vax; has some good ideas... but.... I dont want to get into it.

I have a 1ghz like ya know, and I would reccomend at least a 330w PSU, maybe even a 400w. With all the modding your going to do to it :-) I would put a big psu into that sucker.

------------------
-=Sniper=-
News Editor/HTML Programmer
http://roguespear.3dretreat.com - RS Retreat
http://www.3dretreat.com - 3d Retreat


Click Here to See the Profile for sniper   Click Here to Email sniper    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24721190UIN: 24721190       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47