Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Rogue Spear Retreat News
  Running RS/UO in Windows XP

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running RS/UO in Windows XP
CR6
Moderator

Posts: 200
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 08-27-2001 11:57 PM


With the WinXP Release Candidate 2 now available, and the news of WinXP going gold master, I was curious if fellow R6 fans out there have experience with how well R6/RS/UO runs on WinXP. For example, there are rumors that there may be problems with RS/UO multiplayer.

When Win2K came out, RSE had to release a patch to make RS run properly with Win2K. R6 needed some registry tweaks to run properly under Win2K. We have heard from RSE that Ghost Recon will run fine under WinXP, but it is highly doubtful that RSE will issue further patches for the R6/RS series in support of WinXP's release.

If you are trying out WinXP RC2, please post in our forums about your experiences running the R6 games!


Click Here to See the Profile for CR6   Click Here to Email CR6    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to n/a   Send a message to n/aUIN: IP Logged
7dragoon
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Aug 2001

posted 08-28-2001 12:15 AM


RS/UO runs Great! under Winxp, depending on your hardware. If your hardware has driver problems under WinXP, nothing will run right. Such is Beta. But I run RS/Uo in "Compatability mode" as a win98 program on a Dual 800 MHZ PC running Winxp RC2 (Release Candidate 2). Runs great, even with 14-16 players when hosting on the Zone.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for 7dragoon   Click Here to Email 7dragoon    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote        Send a message to dragoon7wUIN: IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 983
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 08-28-2001 02:56 AM


I installed RS and applied the 2.05 patch on a WinXP RC2 box and it worked perfectly. I didn't have to run anything in Win9x compatiblity mode but I agree with 7dragon on his comments on making sure your hardware (video/audio) are working ok.
Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
CR6
Moderator

Posts: 200
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 08-28-2001 10:47 PM


Excellent news! Thanks for the responses!

I wonder if running games on Win98 compatibility mode will affect the quality of the graphics (mainly things like frames per second etc.)?

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for CR6   Click Here to Email CR6    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote     Send an AIM Message to n/a   Send a message to n/aUIN: IP Logged
jbhickok
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Sep 2001

posted 09-09-2001 07:01 PM


I am running Windows XP RC2 and I am playing RS Urban Operations and Rogue Spear just fine. I did have a problem when I first installed and clicked yes to the DX 6.1 install that comes up at the end of the RS install. I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled clicking the no button to update Direct X. I then applied the 2.05 patch, which timed out at the end, but did install. Then I installed Urban Ops and it's update. All seem to be working great. Hope this helps anyone.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for jbhickok    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
FreshG
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Sep 2001

posted 09-17-2001 08:48 PM


Just wanted to chime in here after installing WinXP (the final release version) I am having some problems with RS/UO/CO. First the sound, I have a SBLive and during gameplay the sound does not work properly - it is choppy and crackles and it seems to slow down the game when there are sounds. I expect this to possibly be resolved when Creative releases their new XP drivers in the near future so not a big issue. More bothersome is that not all five buttons are working on my intellimouse explorer now that I installed XP. I use the thumb buttons for peek left and right and these no longer work in RS, but work in other apps. Has anyone else experienced the mouse problem or know a fix for it? -FreshG

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for FreshG    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
plastkman
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Sep 2001

posted 09-19-2001 06:55 PM


Originally posted by FreshG:
Just wanted to chime in here after installing WinXP (the final release version) I am having some problems with RS/UO/CO. First the sound, I have a SBLive and during gameplay the sound does not work properly - it is choppy and crackles and it seems to slow down the game when there are sounds. I expect this to possibly be resolved when Creative releases their new XP drivers in the near future so not a big issue. More bothersome is that not all five buttons are working on my intellimouse explorer now that I installed XP. I use the thumb buttons for peek left and right and these no longer work in RS, but work in other apps. Has anyone else experienced the mouse problem or know a fix for it? -FreshG

im no expert on this stuff so correct me if im wrong. rogue spear sucks all processor power such that not much else will work except the game... ie, my intellemouse never worked with it (the other buttons that is) and now, my logitech wireless keyboard's volume knob doesnt work. i am running final release of xp, and also have sound problems. i am using a sblive! card as well.

i think the mouse problem lies within rogue spear itself. ive tried using macro programs to automate text messages, but these dont work either. seems the rogue engine doesnt let other stuff run... any other thoughts on this?

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for plastkman    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
FreshG
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Sep 2001

posted 09-20-2001 02:29 AM


I've been trying to get this to work the last couple days and here's what I've come up with. I didn't notice but after installing XP Windows stopped using the Intellipoint software which lets you map the extra buttons on the mouse. I redownloaded and installed Intellipoint ver 3.2 and when I did Windows warned me that it was designed for an earlier version. Whatever, I fired up Rogue Spear and tried it out and the extra buttons worked but very very poorly, I had to keep pressing them and they wouldn't stop once I let them go and the overall mouse performance sucked. I uninstalled Intellipoint and did some investigating and apparently there is a new version of it for XP, ver. 4.01 which if you search Microsoft's site comes up but leads to a dead page. So I am hoping the release of the new Intellipoint and Creative drivers for the SB will fix the problems I'm having. I've heard the new Intellipoint may be included with new mice already so if anyone has a link it would be appreciated -FreshG.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for FreshG    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
NiakNiak
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Oct 2001

posted 10-29-2001 01:39 PM


Hi!, I can't run the French version of RS on my Win XP Pro (5.1 built 2600)...
I have a G400 and a SBLive! , even with the latest patch (2.05) it's doesn't work. I don't understand. I have tried the change the compatibility to Win98, Win2000 but it return an error with the ROGUESPEAR.ICD file.... anyone can help me ? please...

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for NiakNiak   Click Here to Email NiakNiak    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47