Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Rainbow6/Rogue Spear
  The 3 Stooges a la RS Single Player Games

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   The 3 Stooges a la RS Single Player Games
Green
Private

Posts: 7
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 10:51 PM


I've got all of the R6/RS games, and lets get it straight, I enjoy the heck out of all of 'em. But (and there is always a but), the single player games have always boiled down to "Leave me alone you 7 jack a$$es, I'll do it myself."

As much as Red Storm tries, the AI still is not there. The 1 player game still amounts to a "lone gunman" taking out 13 of the 14 baddies with a supporting roll going to some lucky baffoon who walks upon a Tango out for a stroll.

Anyway, there be my point of discussion/disagreement. I won't even go into the Tangos walking over their dead comrades and not raising an alarm.

Note: My comments are on the single player scenarios. The multi-player is still fantastic. Just a point of discussion.

------------------
Don't worry about the pissants when the elephants are running your a$$ over.


Click Here to See the Profile for Green    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 12:43 AM


I am not going to spend my time going into the specifics of errors in AI but I will agree with your point that single player just doesn't do it for me. I strictly play RS/UO for the multiplayer experience and it is my favorite game by far.

I have heard from several people who enjoy the single player RS gaming but you can't count me in that. Funny thing is, I like Swat 3 single play and not multiplayer. So I guess my perfect game is Swat 3 for single player and RS for multiplayer.

I don't think RS is too buggy to enjoy in sp, I just think that situations like that are not properly modeled by AI. Being able to work with a REAL person makes the gaming experience so much better.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
sniper
3d Retreat

Posts: 70
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 01:01 AM


Yes! I see what you mean! It took me several times to read your post , but I finnaly got it!

Yes I can see what you mean by "Leave me alone you 7 jack a$$es, I'll do it myself." Where (you/me) taking out all 30 baddies.. in each mission and terrorist Hunts. Well I don't know programming yet but In my experiance with it and getting to learn a little it would take forever to make the "perfect" AI act/think just like you.

This is why I spend a LOT OF TIME playing multi player because I get more "actualle" experiance, better training, learn how people move and play, and all sort of interesting things that you can learn while playing multi instead!

To make the "perfect" AI is gonna be almost impossible (yes there might be a perfect AI in the near future) But ask this to yourself, how can ther be "perfect" AI? Are you perfect? what do you consider the "perfect" AI. Even the MOST ELITE people that work for the goverment such as the green berets, SAS, etc screw up! There really wont be perfect AI. But that is why I love RS so much because if you put the "teamshadow" cheat on and jsut look at a terrorit for a bit after the mission has starter you will notice that he is bascally like the "perfect" AI. he yawn, stretches, walks around etc. Much like we all would!

So just start to look around more!! and see what the games offers! because I belive there is a lot more things in RS that we have not yet noticed!

I hope I have kinda answered any question and not confused anyone.. hehe

------------------
-=Sniper=-
News Editor/HTML Programmer
http://www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for sniper   Click Here to Email sniper    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 24721190UIN: 24721190   Send an AIM Message to BimmerLovR    IP Logged
X17
Moderator

Posts: 80
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-23-2000 08:13 AM


MMM I think you guys just haven't given single player enough of a chance. A veteran of single player like myself (cause my connection is so horrible multi is impossible to be fun) I know how to make the team AI do what I want it to do and when. Most of it lies in the planning of your missions, setting the routes. What i find is most people try sp for a little bit, then get hooked on multi (cause we all know RS is the best tactical multi shooter) and when they return to sp its no where as fun as multi. Of course its not, fragging a human is always more fun then a programmed target. But, if you truly give SP a chance it will being to grow on you, you will find yourself wanting to make more and more plans on getting your objective. And you will gradually learn to control the AI like a pro, like me *rubes finger nails against chest*

------------------
X17
3d Retreat Staff
Force 21 Retreat
Airsoft Retreat
Trinity Effect


Click Here to See the Profile for X17   Click Here to Email X17    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 66249881UIN: 66249881       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47