Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Rainbow6/Rogue Spear
  Hosts- Check ur speed

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Hosts- Check ur speed
GoDSpeeD
Private

Posts: 48
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-19-2000 01:08 PM


I am so grateful for people who host games because i am on my stupid dial-up- actually a very good dialup- considering I get really good pings like in the 150's. Yet one thing really pisses me off- especially in the game, there is an accusation of lag and everyone starts shouting out- "I HAVE CABLE" that don't mean shit- maybe its a society standard but understand what different conenction speeds are. Cable may be dedicated but for many folks- it is shared within a community - and when those peak hours come - that cable is reduced to bullshit- 28.8 even less. I know- I 've been there- and no my sister has dsl. Another thing - host soemtimes are snotty and say- oh I have a 3meg dsl line- are you connected at 3 megs- I don't think so- that maybe the theorictical bandwidth but hell it ain't ideal situations- and don't be hosting a 8 or more player with soem crappy 300 mhz comp- Thank You - and I needed to get that off my chest.......

------------------
Calvin Lam - GoDSpeeD


Click Here to See the Profile for GoDSpeeD   Click Here to Email GoDSpeeD    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 48343843UIN: 48343843   Send an AIM Message to calam63    IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 417
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-20-2000 09:36 PM


Good comments ;-) Most cable users are capped at 128k upload an in my opinion that is only good for 4 players max. Most dsl users who have 1.5mb down still only have 128k. I have 768k upload and download on my dsl and if I am playing with all fast players, I can host 12 max. Normally 10 is the most.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Infrared_Sight
Private

Posts: 5
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-20-2000 10:59 PM


I agree, I have DSL to and here are my rates.

1236.4 Kbps
151.5 K bytes/sec

And I only like to host 6 people max cause of lag and etc. So to those with wellfare modems go out and get at least DSL or something better for crying out loud cause you 56kers and lower are killing us man.

to check your rate of speed go here http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest.asp

------------------
Infrared

One by one they all went under, so I had the last laugh. They all thought it was a joke, but I had the last laugh.


Click Here to See the Profile for Infrared_Sight    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Drunk
Sergeant

Posts: 83
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-21-2000 09:09 AM


Your line speed:

37 Kbps
4.5 K bytes/sec

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee i love my "56k"

------------------
CONFUCIUS SAY . .Man who put head on Rail Road track to listen for train likely to end up with splitting headache.
Webmaster of the Funniest Clan Site In The World and of course The Rogue Spear Funnies


Click Here to See the Profile for Drunk   Click Here to Email Drunk    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 31271461UIN: 31271461       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47