Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Rainbow6/Rogue Spear
  CD is scratched up the wazoo. What can I do?!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   CD is scratched up the wazoo. What can I do?!
SuperGroove
Newbie

Posts: 4
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-24-2000 02:09 PM


My CD is scratched up, and Redstorm is taking forever to contact me. They ignored my first e-mail, and I was on the phone for 45 minutes with no answer today. They were probably closed, but there was no announcement saying if it was or not.

Anyways, my CD cracked. It is the original copy of Rogue Spear. I would have backed it up, but I have no CD-RW drive. I have the manual and box. I don't have the receipt anymore. I bought this waaaay long ago. When it first came out long ago. Ya know...1999!! Well anyways...what can I do?

Thanks,
Paul


Click Here to See the Profile for SuperGroove   Click Here to Email SuperGroove    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 9786009UIN: 9786009   Send an AIM Message to ymustask    IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-24-2000 03:04 PM


if its cracked, well, first....what do you mean cracked? All the way though? Or just the bottom of it? If you got just got the bottom, use some Cleaning Fluid which you can get from Radio Shack. It worked for me before, well go little scratches. If you cracked it, you cant use the 3d, it just wont work. Oh and the cleaning fluid I use is in a black tube, with a white top on it. Its 3 inches tall lol, with this information, hope you dont miss it by walkin by it...

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
SuperGroove
Newbie

Posts: 4
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-24-2000 03:06 PM


Well I've tried two cleaning solution and crack fixers on the CD. The cracks aren't all the way through. They're miniscule scratches.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for SuperGroove   Click Here to Email SuperGroove    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 9786009UIN: 9786009   Send an AIM Message to ymustask    IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-24-2000 03:07 PM


Ok, well if the cleaning fluid doesnt work, sorry to say you might be screwed, I'd go buy another cd right away!

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
SuperGroove
Newbie

Posts: 4
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-24-2000 03:12 PM


$44 more for something I Paid $44 for a year ago?! Man, I ain't made out of money...lots of fluid...but not money

Paul

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for SuperGroove   Click Here to Email SuperGroove    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 9786009UIN: 9786009   Send an AIM Message to ymustask    IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-24-2000 03:14 PM


Sorry bud, but I told you everything I know. Best thing to do is save money and buy another. If you can find it, I havnt seen RS in computer stores for a long time. Unless someone else knows what to do, thats bout it.

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
SuperGroove
Newbie

Posts: 4
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 11-24-2000 03:15 PM


Sigh...thanks man. This is royal poo poo Maybe I can find a used copy.

Paul

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for SuperGroove   Click Here to Email SuperGroove    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 9786009UIN: 9786009   Send an AIM Message to ymustask    IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-24-2000 03:17 PM


No problem, glad to help...if I can,

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
SamTheMan
Sergeant

Posts: 84
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-24-2000 07:47 PM


You can buy this wierd lookin CD fixer thingy, it fixes most scratches, it looks like a toy and sells around 30 bucks. I forgot what it was called though.

------------------
/Sam from Everything Rainbow Six Series


Click Here to See the Profile for SamTheMan   Click Here to Email SamTheMan    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 40054972UIN: 40054972       IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-25-2000 10:05 AM


That really helps sam, lmao..

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
Warthog
Private

Posts: 37
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-25-2000 12:31 PM


If I was you (had already purchased cd), I would dl it from a warez site. You wouldn't be taking money from the company, because you already bought it. I think that is a pretty ligit reason to dl warez.

Warthog

------------------
Got Milk?


Click Here to See the Profile for Warthog   Click Here to Email Warthog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 79345269UIN: 79345269   Send an AIM Message to .......aol sucks..........    IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-25-2000 04:18 PM


Warez are not the answer....(Starts to crack up laughing)

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
Drunk
Captain

Posts: 151
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-25-2000 04:24 PM


haha, warez is a big tut tut .

------------------
CONFUCIUS SAY . .Man who put head on Rail Road track to listen for train likely to end up with splitting headache.
Webmaster of the Funniest Clan Site In The World and of course The Rogue Spear Funnies


Click Here to See the Profile for Drunk   Click Here to Email Drunk    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 31271461UIN: 31271461       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 560
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-26-2000 03:25 AM


Try RSE next week. You most likely are not having any luck because it is during the holiday week/weekend.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Drunk
Captain

Posts: 151
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-26-2000 06:44 AM


try using a "no CD Crack" -

Rogue Spear

Urban Ops

Covert Ops

If you have the game already installed on your pc (which you should have) one of these patches should work fine and you can also play music cds while your playing a game (slow as hell on my setup) .

------------------
CONFUCIUS SAY . .Man who put head on Rail Road track to listen for train likely to end up with splitting headache.
Webmaster of the Funniest Clan Site In The World and of course The Rogue Spear Funnies


Click Here to See the Profile for Drunk   Click Here to Email Drunk    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 31271461UIN: 31271461       IP Logged
Drunk
Captain

Posts: 151
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-26-2000 07:50 AM


You may also need to disable the movies depending on the selection of install you did, eg Full will install the videos, but the others will not so it may cause it to crash.

------------------
CONFUCIUS SAY . .Man who put head on Rail Road track to listen for train likely to end up with splitting headache.
Webmaster of the Funniest Clan Site In The World and of course The Rogue Spear Funnies


Click Here to See the Profile for Drunk   Click Here to Email Drunk    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 31271461UIN: 31271461       IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-26-2000 10:12 AM


That is a good point. Full install puts uses lots of memory, is that what you mean drunky? Confused me..

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
Drunk
Captain

Posts: 151
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-26-2000 10:21 AM


Originally posted by David:
That is a good point. Full install puts uses lots of memory, is that what you mean drunky? Confused me..

sorta, don't worry i confuse a lot of people. When you install RS it gives you the option of
Full install - that pretty much copys everything from the cd apart from cd music (i think), this includes videos, this basically takes up the most disk space.

Standard Install - This is everything BUT the videos, because of this the user if hes not using the cd will need to disable the movies otherwise the game will search for them and most probably crash the game when it doesn't find them. (saves about 100 meg in HD space).

Compact install - this is the smallest install option and will pull most of the data from the cd, it will be unlikely that you will be able to use the cd crack on this option, but i believe you can with the other 2.

Think that makes sense

------------------
CONFUCIUS SAY . .Man who put head on Rail Road track to listen for train likely to end up with splitting headache.
Webmaster of the Funniest Clan Site In The World and of course The Rogue Spear Funnies


Click Here to See the Profile for Drunk   Click Here to Email Drunk    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 31271461UIN: 31271461       IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-26-2000 02:24 PM


Ohhhhhhhh....I see...Yet again...another good point..

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
SamTheMan
Sergeant

Posts: 84
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 11-30-2000 10:45 PM


CD Doc, thats what its called... i think.

------------------
/Sam from Everything Rainbow Six Series


Click Here to See the Profile for SamTheMan   Click Here to Email SamTheMan    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 40054972UIN: 40054972       IP Logged
Warthog
Private

Posts: 37
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-01-2000 02:35 PM


uhhhhh...why was my post funny? Was just trying to help...

I like the no-cd crack idea.

Warthog

------------------
Got Milk?


Click Here to See the Profile for Warthog   Click Here to Email Warthog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 79345269UIN: 79345269   Send an AIM Message to .......aol sucks..........    IP Logged
David
Sergeant

Posts: 87
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-02-2000 10:10 PM


When I said "Warez is not the answer", I was laughing because I shouldnt be talking. I use warez practicly all the time, People dont like that, hell, they can kiss my white butt..

------------------
David
Davids Mods


Click Here to See the Profile for David   Click Here to Email David    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 27917600UIN: 27917600       IP Logged
Warthog
Private

Posts: 37
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 12-02-2000 10:12 PM


LOL! I see

Warthog

------------------
Got Milk?


Click Here to See the Profile for Warthog   Click Here to Email Warthog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 79345269UIN: 79345269   Send an AIM Message to .......aol sucks..........    IP Logged
USMC Greg
Private

Posts: 9
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 12-19-2000 11:52 PM


Try going to the local CD vendor. I know there is a popular CD selling chain in Canada called "CD Warehouse" and it offers to fix scratched CD's. I don't know how it's done but I know it's cheap. Perhaps they have a similar chain in the US.

------------------
USMC Greg


Homepage:
USMC Greg's Page
Clan Page:
USMC Clan
Contributor:
Pie's Tactics
Administrator:
USMC Clan Forums

"To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge". -Confucius


Click Here to See the Profile for USMC Greg   Click Here to Email USMC Greg    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 89444157UIN: 89444157       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47