Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Rainbow6/Rogue Spear
  Multiplayer RS Only!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Multiplayer RS Only!
haykubus
Newbie

Posts: 3
Registered: Feb 2001

posted 02-07-2001 03:33 PM


It has come to my attention lately that no one plays RS for the single player value that much anymore, and that multiplayer is the only huge thing keeping the game alive. Also, I have noticed that the game is defenitely NOT optimized for multiplayer mode. Since everyone only plays multiplayer, why doesn't Red Storm release a Rogue Spear/Rainbow Six universe game that is multiplayer only? If they did, they could create a game that focuses on net-code for a more streamlined and less quirky and less hackable game than they do now. They could also incorporate an in-game server listing style kinda like TRIBES, instead of the buggy and unreliable Zone that you love to hate . I think everyone who plays multiplayer RS would agree on some points here, and would openly accept a RS game that focuses on multiplayer and has a code base FOR multiplayer, and not single player (besides, RS single player sucks anway. Never seen a person, terrorist or not, that can snapshoot you in the eye from 200 yards away behind 70% cover with an uzi . What do you people think about this?
Click Here to See the Profile for haykubus   Click Here to Email haykubus    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
ghost397
Private

Posts: 18
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 02-07-2001 06:58 PM


I enjoy multi quite a bit. Haven't done that on a "public" server though, only LAN before I moved and once via net since, and always with a friend of mine. I do enjoy the single player. And I would disagree that people only play multi.

But there's one major reason I think multi only might not do as well as you think: planning. Right now, there's no way to create and/or execute a planned attack in multi. Regardless of whether it's co-op or adv (in which case it might be kind of pointless but you never know). And to add that in... I'm thinking of all the trouble they have with whiteboard apps now

Less hackable? Or less end user modifiable? I think that's part of what makes games so fun, is you can customize them. Build your own levels. But maybe you're talking about something else.

Of course, I would like to see more streamlined net code. Who wouldn't. I'd also like rt voice comm. (Hey, it doesn't have to be high quality, tinny would add to the realism of it being a radio

Multi only? I like the ORIGINAL quake multi MUCH better than arena... graphics or no. Most of the multi only games haven't done too well... at least, not if they weren't conceived as such from scratch.

Yeah, there are some "bugs" in the game. But I have yet to see one that doesn't have them. My favorite is dying (in single player) from a shot *before* the tango raises his weapon. Then again, my favorite "cheat" is zooming in with a rifle/sniper, holding the crosshairs steady and switching to pistol, then shooting a tango in the forehead from several hundred yards out.

Of course, the final answer is always the same: this is a GAME, not a SIMULATION. Although that line keeps getting fuzzier and fuzzier.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for ghost397    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
haykubus
Newbie

Posts: 3
Registered: Feb 2001

posted 02-08-2001 06:08 PM


Well, if you've ever played RS multiplayer on public servers like Zone, then you'd understand more of what I'm talking about. When i say that the game should be less hackable, I'm talking about all the hacks and cheats that clans use during matches. RS is imfamous for being hacked by individuals who use the advantage to gain rank for their clan. This use of hacking makes the game unfair and it has nothing to do with making the game modifyable. A multiplayer version of RS should be easy to modify for mods and such, but extremely hard and un-beneficial to hack and cheat on

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for haykubus   Click Here to Email haykubus    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
haykubus
Newbie

Posts: 3
Registered: Feb 2001

posted 02-08-2001 06:11 PM


Oh yea, I forgot about mentioning planning. In public games, good clans create plans for maps during practices and such, and they use these strategies during ladder play. Some clans don't even use planning, and they do really well, it all depends on the skill of the players. All in all, I think you would need to play in a public game of Rogue Spear to see what I'm getting at. LAN play with some friends is nothing like playing on the quirky Zone with cheaters who hack the game, and others that are extremely good and use planned strategy with other teammates. It's a whole different beast your dealing with.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for haykubus   Click Here to Email haykubus    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
ghost397
Private

Posts: 18
Registered: Dec 2000

posted 02-08-2001 08:35 PM


I think I had my fill of that with Diablo (the original). I don't ever play "seriously" on public servers because of that. I've thought about playing RS public, but either haven't gotten around to it or have no interest *because* of cheating.

*shrug*

I don't know anything about the hacks or cheats they're using on those servers. I probably don't want to.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for ghost397    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Warthog
Private

Posts: 40
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 02-12-2001 04:53 PM


I wouldn't be for it.

Majority of RS players DO NOT have broadband internet access. I don't simply because it is not available in my area . I LOVE MULTIPLAYER. And I would play it all the time if I could. I can only play late at night because of incoming phonecalls. This restrics my MP play to weekends or when I don't have school the next day. SP makes it possible to play/practice whenever I want to. How can you learn the game when you can't play SP??

I wouldn't go as far as to say "RS single player sucks", because it doesn't. Name another game that does better than RS's gameplay (in the same category - not Quake). Sure, I agree with the accuracy part. BUT it makes it more challenging and makes me a better player (seriously).

Personally, I had a lot of fun with the SP maps for a long time. With some, I playe them to death. Of course, I got bored eventually because there are only so many scenarios you can do

I would support something besides the Zone. I don't think it's THAT bad. Sure, we get farted every once in a while (which sucks). It's not like it is unbearable.

Warthog

------------------
Got Milk?


Click Here to See the Profile for Warthog   Click Here to Email Warthog    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 79345269UIN: 79345269   Send an AIM Message to .......aol sucks..........    IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47