Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Rainbow6/Rogue Spear
  unsafe COM virus in *.rsb file

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   unsafe COM virus in *.rsb file
ruckus
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Mar 2001

posted 03-23-2001 07:09 AM


I just updated McAfee Virus scan to 5.16xxx and ran a virus scan. It's reporting that it's found virus type: unsafe COM in data\character\HOS_VIP\vip_natosldr_hchest_1.rsb. I think that this is a false report but I could not find any info about unsafe com virus @ McAfee. Could anyone tell me what the *.rbs files are, and if they were infected could a virus spread? Thanks for any help.
Click Here to See the Profile for ruckus    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Drunk
Major

Posts: 315
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 03-23-2001 08:34 AM


The *.rsb files is the extension for the images used in the game, i believe its RSE's own files extension (correct me if i'm wrong). It shouldn't be infected unless you have a virus somewhere else on your system which has infected other files, did you get any other warnings?

------------------
Swat 3 Retreat News Junkie
drunk@3dretreat.com
Visit my RS Clan site!!


Click Here to See the Profile for Drunk   Click Here to Email Drunk    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 31271461UIN: 31271461       IP Logged
ruckus
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Mar 2001

posted 03-23-2001 09:00 AM


No, that was the only one I think it must be a mis-reading since I think I enabled (goes off to see how it's spelt) heuristics scanning. Anyway thanks, I think I'll just leave it and run a full virus scan every day or so and see if there is any spreading but I think it's just a false alarm <phew>.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for ruckus    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
SamTheMan
Moderator

Posts: 136
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 03-25-2001 02:39 PM


Yeah, its a mis-read. It is impossible to have a virus in a rsb file. Thats like having a virus in a bmp file.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for SamTheMan   Click Here to Email SamTheMan    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 40054972UIN: 40054972       IP Logged
Jack Handey
Private

Posts: 32
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 03-25-2001 04:34 PM


BTW, .rsb is AKA Red Storm Bitmap. And that particular file is a chest for a hostage.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Handey    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 70100555UIN: 70100555   Send an AIM Message to MaxwellEdison969    IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47