Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  Off-Topic
  Gov. Tracking Warez?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Gov. Tracking Warez?
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-21-2000 11:48 PM


Here is an interesting article about how several gov. agencies are tracking your actions without permission:
http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500271198-500422661-502632136-0,00.html

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Rogue
Private

Posts: 17
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 12:09 AM


I really wish I had this article like thursday night...I did a presentation on internet privacy on friday afternoon, and this would have helped to strengthen my point...Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's necessarily a BAD thing, but it'd be nice to have some warning. Warez are one of the only thins online I've invested very little time in...It's like yeah, go to a site, download like 15 files, then have it NOT work. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Government tracking does seem like a good idea as far as warez are concerned, maybe it will help to "crack down" on some of the many warez users...If the government tries to monitor anything I do that isn't slightly illegal in the first place, then I'll get upset. Very little of what I do online falls under that category though, so whatever hehe. As long as FBI agents aren't calling my house or showing up at my house I'm cool with it.

------------------
[02:33] <Snicker> In weight lifting, I don't think you should be disqualified for sudden, uncontrollable urination.


Click Here to See the Profile for Rogue   Click Here to Email Rogue    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 37149540UIN: 37149540       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 12:14 AM


While I am completely against software piracy, I don't think the government should be using illegal means to track software pirates. That makes them no different then the illegal actions of the warez people. I just wonder how much of that article is true.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
Dungheap
3d Retreat

Posts: 14
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 09:36 AM


Speaking of cookies, does this version of UBB not support them? I have to log in evertime I post.

Anyway, I don't see the use of cookies by the government as an invasion of privacy, If I saw cookies as a problem I would disable them through my browser. No if the govt was using some technology to read other sites cookies from my HDD then I may be a little peeved. However, I don't see that happening.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Dungheap   Click Here to Email Dungheap    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Rogue
Private

Posts: 17
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 11:23 AM


Using illegal means...I'm sure the government has come up with SOME excuse to do this...I can't think of a decent one at the moment but I think you understand what I mean.

Dung; I don't look at use of cookies as a breach of privacy either, mainly because I can deal with the consequences of that. 86% of websites take information off of your computer via cookies, they take your name, email, some take your address, SSN, and a bunch of other information. They then take this and sell it to other companies, even though most say they won't. Only 14% of the websites that gather information refrain from giving it to others.
That means, if you get a lot of junk email, you must surf the web quite a bit. I barely surf the web, and I get close to no junk mail, but my brother is always looking up one thing or another and he gets about 5 messages a day about refinancing loans and how to get cheap medical treatment. Just an example.

Lates.

------------------
[02:33] <Snicker> In weight lifting, I don't think you should be disqualified for sudden, uncontrollable urination.


Click Here to See the Profile for Rogue   Click Here to Email Rogue    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 37149540UIN: 37149540       IP Logged
SamTheMan
Private

Posts: 37
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 01:01 PM


cookies.... mmmmmmmmm. The Goverment sucks.

------------------
/Sam from Everything Rainbow Six (http://rainbow6.gameglow.Series>


Click Here to See the Profile for SamTheMan   Click Here to Email SamTheMan    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 40054972UIN: 40054972       IP Logged
Dungheap
3d Retreat

Posts: 14
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 01:03 PM


quote:
Originally posted by Rogue:
86% of websites take information off of your computer via cookies, they take your name, email, some take your address, SSN, and a bunch of other information. They then take this and sell it to other companies, even though most say they won't. Only 14% of the websites that gather information refrain from giving it to others.
That means, if you get a lot of junk email, you must surf the web quite a bit. I barely surf the web, and I get close to no junk mail, but my brother is always looking up one thing or another and he gets about 5 messages a day about refinancing loans and how to get cheap medical treatment. Just an example.

Info such as SSN and Email is gather by a website when you enter it. This is not contained in a cookie, but rather in thier database that you entered it into. If they choose to sell thier database then thats their choice. You can request for your information not to be distributed. This is law from I believe the FCC.

Where did you get your 86/14 percentages? I would like to see this source.

I get 0 spam in my private email accounts, my ISP accounts and my school address, I get 0 spam. I surf the web probably 10+ hours a day. The only email address that I frequently get Spam on is my 3d Retreat account which is posted in numerous spots on website so that bots that look for email address can frequent find it and add it to spam lists.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for Dungheap   Click Here to Email Dungheap    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
Rogue
Private

Posts: 17
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 04:42 PM


I got my statistics from the Issues and Controversies on File source at my school library, I believe it was in the 1999 edition. The article on the subject for 2000 was missing when I looked for it.

------------------
[02:33] <Snicker> In weight lifting, I don't think you should be disqualified for sudden, uncontrollable urination.


Click Here to See the Profile for Rogue   Click Here to Email Rogue    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 37149540UIN: 37149540       IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-22-2000 05:18 PM


quote:
Originally posted by Dungheap:
Speaking of cookies, does this version of UBB not support them?

Yes, this board does and mine are working fine but a few others have said the same thing. I believe the reason is because you signed up with this account when I had the forums on the test server and once I have moved to the new server, the cookies may not be behaving correctly. Go to your preferences and I believe it will rebuilt your cookie.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
GoatBeard
Moderator

Posts: 43
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 07:39 PM


Ummm, flame me if you will but this thread contained enough inacurate statements that I need to say this:

- Let me state up front I hate cookies. I use several techniques to foil the cookies I don't like. However, in and of themselves cookies aren't malicious.

- As stated by DungHeap cookies themselves don't contain personal information such as SSNs.

- Who decided that the use of cookies on a dozen web sites meant that they were tracking for warez?? Cookies collect personal settings and, in some cases, travel information within a web site. There is NO WAY that a cookie can invoke itself to store additional information about a different site because the cookie thinks you might be looking at warez or pr0n.

- Snicker stated that he didn't think the Govt. should use "illegal" means to tack users. Without seeing the White House directive you cannot make the claim that the use of cookies on Federal web sites is "illegal" Illegal, by definition, means that there is a law prohibiting some action. I don't think that the President passed such a law which pertains to Fed agencies recently.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for GoatBeard   Click Here to Email GoatBeard    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 08:07 PM


I am assuming that the following statement is in fact to true to say that the Gov. is tracking warez illegal. Just because the press said it doesn't make it true but the opening line of the article reads:

quote:
Despite a White House prohibition, 13 government agencies are using technology that tracks the Internet habits

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
GoatBeard
Moderator

Posts: 43
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 08:30 PM


I'm having a difficult time understanding your point, but I believe this is on topic.

The writer probably asked his MIS guy what a cookie is. Said MIS guy said that they can track movement within a site and are used to store site-specific data (e.g. login id and layout preferences). The writer took this to mean "internet habits." That doesn't mean that he is correct. I have reviewed the article at least 5 times now and nowhere does it talk about or warez.

Cookies aren't being used illegally (see my previous post in this thread) and don't transmit personal information. I can pull much of the same info from my web server logs.

Think a cookie can track my movements online? I don't. Want to prove me wrong?. Set a 3DR cookie to track me for the next 24 hours. Tell me when to start. I won't mess with the little cookie crumb at all.

Can't do it? That's right, you can't. Cookies are inert unless called by the page you are currently browsing.

Sen. Fred Thompson doesn't understand cookies either.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with a private company being used to compile cookie info. Stupid maybe, but I would hope that the Statement Of Work between the Fed agency and that company prohibits use or sale of any info.

------------------


Click Here to See the Profile for GoatBeard   Click Here to Email GoatBeard    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 242
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 10-26-2000 08:56 PM


Good points. Too many people thing cookies are a bad thing because they have read some CNET article or read PC Magazine which got them all worked up.

I have head of a security issues in the past where people were able to read any of your cookies....and would we really know if MS and the GOV have a secret "backdoor" hehe. Ok, that was too far fetched but you never know.

I have no problems with people setting cookies on my computer because in more times than not, they make my browsing life easier. Turning cookes off just cause too many headaches.

Also, I never specifically said they were tracking warez, I stated it as a question in the subject In my text, I said "tracking your actions without permission". IF the gov has a method for tracking a type of persistant cookie, than according to this article they are doing so without permission.

I am going to have to agree with your speculation on the article though. There are too many unknowns and no specifics to be of any merit. Probably just another person preying on the insecurities of uninformed net users.

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47