Click Here

  3d Retreat Forums
  General Ghost Recon
  Large Terrain or Dedicated Server?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Large Terrain or Dedicated Server?
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 938
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 08-03-2001 01:01 AM


So which is more important to you, the larger terrain or the dedicated server feature in Ghost Recon?

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com
.plan file


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
The Columnist
Private

Posts: 24
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 08-05-2001 10:46 PM


The dedicated server wins the prize in my family. The peer-to-peer nature of both R6 and RS seemed a bit skewed in favor of the person initating the game, but I think this will change in "Ghost Recon."

As always, the use of this new technology in "Ghost Recon" will be absolutely wonderful until the cheaters move in (client side or server side) and ruin it for everyone.

Aaron, I'm glad you and Laurie are okay after your car accident and congrats on your new house.

Scott McCollum
Austin, Texas


Click Here to See the Profile for The Columnist    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged
snicker
3d Retreat

Posts: 938
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 08-07-2001 01:08 PM


Thanks Scott, good to hear from ya!

------------------
Aaron "Snicker" Benzick
Editor-in-Chief
3d Retreat, www.3dretreat.com
.plan file


Click Here to See the Profile for snicker   Click Here to Email snicker    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 2027796UIN: 2027796       IP Logged
The Kid RCU
Newbie

Posts: 2
Registered: Aug 2001

posted 08-20-2001 11:48 AM


Interesting Question...I actually look at both equally, with that being said, I'm very pleased and hope to see both implemented well.

I guess it has to do with my style of play. While I don't like 'camping' in it's true sense, I prefer combat at a distance and truly love a tactical game that can give me the true 'sniper' experience. I have not seen that yet, especially from RSE. My hope is that the larger maps will provide for this.

As for Dedicated Server, ABOUT TIME! It goes without saying that as a community, we hope that this will improve the multiplayer aspect of this game immensely. If it is done correctly, I can only assume that the past lag 'problems' associated with the R6 series will be reduced drastically. I do want to see remote admin features. *crosses fingers*

------------------
Rumble Webmaster - http://therumble.com


Click Here to See the Profile for The Kid RCU   Click Here to Email The Kid RCU    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote  UIN: 10593467UIN: 10593467       IP Logged
Whore Of Babylon
Newbie

Posts: 1
Registered: Aug 2001

posted 08-28-2001 03:59 PM


That is a good question indeed. In my opinion, both are necessary for the success of Ghost Recon.

As a claustrophobic gamer, I'm looking forward to a larger, higher quality terrain; one where I can actually use combat tactics and not third person & HBS.

On the other hand, I'm excited that RSE is planning to have their own dedicated servers for Ghost Recon. Anybody that plays on the MSN Gaming Zone or on GameSpy must know that the Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear Series has spawned an embarasing subculture of youngsters in the chat areas of the Zone and GameSpy. I am ready to see servers dedicated to Ghost Recon under better supervision. And who isn't tired of Zone farts and unexplainable crashes? I know I am.

But that's just my opinion, I might be wrong.

------------------
Whore Of Babylon


Click Here to See the Profile for Whore Of Babylon    Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote         IP Logged

All times are CST (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | http://www.3dretreat.com

3d Retreat © 2000

Powered by Infopop www.infopop.com © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47